1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History of pop music

Discussion in 'Music' started by casper, May 28, 2008.

1. casper

casper New commenter

is this a project to keep year 9 on board until summer idea??

I a going to try to do a cover version unit. Listening to cover ersions adn pupils will say which version they prefer and why- what ahs been changed musically. There are some good examples.Then I am going to find some easy songs for them to learn to play and try to come up with some cover versions of their won. Wish me luck!!

Personally I would not run wiht your idea for the summer term, but it may work. Good luck to you too.

2. I wrote a play on decades 50's - 90's you may want to add as incidental background material ??
    If so, e-mail me on
    philpatjj@hotmail.com

3. bod99

bod99 New commenter

I did a history of pop unit for year 6 - went down v well. Went from 1930 to present day and in later decades I concentrated on band battles - wham/duran duran, oasis/blur etc. They learned the songs, analysed the styles and common features and then did an end of year show based on the work they'd done.

4. Thanks for the replies so far and the offer of the play, philpatjj!

Bod99, I like your idea of the battle of the bands! Do you happen to still have the info you used? Would be grateful of any help etc if you can.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I should think that comparisons are the key to a project of this sort (they certainly figure large in GCSE and A-level music these days). Comparisons need careful selection of material, but make the histroical perspective clearer: e.g. 1950s - close harmony doo-wap with minimal instrumental backing but some accomplished singing, 1960s - guitars and drums more prominent, vocal harmoniues still there but simpler, 1970s - guitars to the fore, often with distortion and other effects, vocals much simpler (sometimes just spoken in rhythm) and so on.

Of course, this is all a bit simplistic, but painting with the broad brush has its merits.

6. I think that looking at different decades and how it's influenced music relevant to them sounds really interesting and I think it will keep them motivated. Might rethink my scheme for this half term! Good luck

7. Dear Bod
    I love your idea of history of pop for year 6, my current year 6 class are a very musical bunch and would love it, I think. It would help with the leavers assembly too perhaps. Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks,

8. I do something similar with Yr 9 at the start of the year - a bit of blues / rock 'n roll, some Beatles, some classic songs of the 70's and 80s and link it to some songs influenced by these. They love QUEEN, Every Breath and P Diddys I'll be missing you, also we look at Reggae which they really enjoy,.... the list is endless. They do learn some songs on the keybard, but also enjoy trying some simple riffs, such as Smoke on the Water, Another one bites the dust etc. It all depends on your resources and their abilities.
    Go for it.

9. Thanks. We aren't well off for resources compared with High schools. A couple of keyboards, 12 instrumentalists with their own instruments and the usual array of percussion. All ideas welcome.

10. There are some really good ideas here, so mine might be superfluous.

One tried and tested (successfully!) topic is Motown. Popular with virtually everyone. Ain't no Mountain High Enough is a good song (Faber and Faber version in two parts is great to sing and not too difficult).

Also, I got throught the post today a very good poster from the Institute of Contemporary Music Performance. It showed all the main strands of pop music from 1920s to 2000s, with examples of bands/performers/composers. It has going on for 60 different styles and how they are linked to other genres. All good stuff, and free too. Can't go wrong.

11. tanbur

tanbur New commenter

You probably know about the link to "Ishkur's guide to Electronic Music" on the TANBUR website. Ishkur's guide is excellent. But there is a big problem with school filters blocking the site. If it's blocked you could still use the site at home as an information / music source. The link to Ishkur is on Tanbur Listen 3:
    http://www.webng.com/tanbur/page4.html
    While you're on the TANBUR site you could also take a look at Songs 1 for links to Billy Joel; Scarborough Fair; BBC Sold on Song.

12. www.pop4schools.com is perfect for this as it has a historical timeline with details of the pop music and technological advances that went with it