1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History of N Curric composing performing listening

Discussion in 'Music' started by jonsavage, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Of course it isn't a joke! I'm not saying that every school in the country has a brilliant standard of music education. You have obviously experienced a very bad approach which no one could or should defend. However, you should not allow that to detract from the excellent work that is done in many schools across the country. I think music education is good or outstanding in many schools. It is taught by a committed workforce despite many difficulties. It could be a lot worse. The model of music education outlined in our current National Curriculum is worth defending.

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

i am a primary music teacher and I do a lot more than "un-co-ordinated banging of percussion instruments". I also have had experience of wider ops - all our year 4 children had a year of recorder tuition and at the end of the year could read basic notation and perform with confidence. Several of them were so enthused that they went on to learn flute and clarinet.
    I would be interested to know which county you are in?

3. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

Unfortunately, rather like many people, you have tried to equate two very different examination systems here. Passing practical grade music exams does not always guarantee musical understanding, or an aptitude in composition.

On a different point, yes Eastern European countries do encourage a much more rigorous approach to singing but I suspect their Primary teachers have a good deal more specific training.

In a very different thread it has often been said that the presence of composition in music teaching is excellent but that its assessment is severely flawed and its use as a major part of examinations questionable.

4. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

This is still true today as long as one is doing a decent job.

5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

North Yorkshire. Music teaching here is <u>very</u> patchy. I know there are some fantastic teachers but I suspect they'd be just as good without the national curriculum. I don't see that it supports the weaker teachers very well as they seem to be allowed to do not very much that's worthwhile. As a fairly average adult the musical things that are useful to me are knowing a bit about harmony, a lot about keys and chords, being able to play an instrument to a high standard, being in reasonable control of my voice and most important of all being able to read music fluently. I compose a bit but no one ever taught me. The other things allow me to do that but if I'd been taught to compose without the other skills I'd be no better at composing but would lack a lot of other more useful skills.