1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History of English Language - KS3 Assessment?

Discussion in 'English' started by AnnaOK, Dec 17, 2015.

1. AnnaOK

AnnaOK New commenter

Anyone teach a history of English unit? You know... Beowulf, Chaucer, Bill the Bard, dickens, modern texts, emojis (really, is that all my generation has to offer???).

If you do, what is your assessment task?

Thanks in advance!!

2. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

I'm working on this at the moment - it doesn't involve an assessment task sorry but thought I'd mention in case of possible use/relevance. (Should be) ready by the start of the new term.

[​IMG]

pratibhap likes this.
  3. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

It depends what your unit focuses on - I see little point in showing them a bunch of extracts and saying "well this is how the English language has changed". The point, surely, is to build familiarity and confidence with older texts.

Can you not have smaller assessed tasks? Eg - using your study of some of Chaucer's General Prologue (or whatever), write your own pilgrim profile in modern English / write a poem/description using kennings.

Or you could select your extracts/the content of your unit based on a unifying idea - characterisation would be a good suggestion. This would allow you to set a good writing assessment, and it would give your unit more coherence.

4. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

We do this with our Year 7 only and we use Beowulf as our text.

The track assessment we use is "to use descriptive language based on the creation of your own monster".

We learn the history of the English Language, but our KS3 framework consist of literature, language and creative writing skills. So we have Language (History of EL), reading literature (Beowulf) and then creative writing (task).

Not all our SoW work this way, but that's how most of Years 7 and 8 SoW are run.

5. thinkypublishing

I guess the point depends on the aim. If the aim is to help develop an understanding of how the language evolved and to explain some of the quirks (such as punctuation) and cow vs beef etc. there's a lot of sense in exploring key moments and events plus it can prompt a wider interest in the subject.

6. thinkypublishing

I haven't quite finished the timeline display but hopefully will have it up tomorrow/Tuesday.

I did manage to do a History of Written English resource though and a 'Word Investigator' worksheet. I have a few others planned too but they might not get done until later in the month.

History of English Slides & Notes

Word Investigator