1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History lunch time club

Discussion in 'History' started by johughes13, Mar 3, 2019.

1. johughes13

johughes13 New commenter

I have just taken over History as my subject lead and would like to start a new club to promote it more throughout school. They have never had a History club before.

I have been given the idea of a Horrible Histories club, but just wondering if anyone had done this before and had ideas of what you actually you did each week as it would only be just over half an hour each week.

Any advice, ideas or planning would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you

2. keet1922

keet1922 New commenter

I think debating is a good way to get into History as it can develop both subject knowledge and skill in public speaking. Does you school already have a debating group? If not, you could start it on those grounds perhaps looking at an historical 'icon' (there's recently been a good series on the BBC about this).

Another idea that I've tried for fun with some of my classes is to play or create a history-themed board game.