1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History level talk and AH - advice please

Discussion in 'History' started by pinkasdasky, Feb 6, 2012.

1. We had a learning walk observations today and feedback. The AH who viewed my lesson today gave it an overall good with loads of outstandings. However he was rather shirty because he said I did not say to the students something along the lines 'if you do this.....then you will get this level......

I scaffold my task to make sure all levels are catered for and the students have the opportunity to work at their level and beyond, however the AH who is a PE teacher said this wasn't good enough. I tried to explain in history there are lots of different aspects that needed to be in place before a level could be given. All the students gave their level and knew what they need to do to improve. Surely this is more important than talking levels?

Am I wrong in thinking that if you do certain task you are working at that level in PE?
    How do you talk levels in history?
    Many thanks for your comments
    Pink

Thanks for any advice.

2. We had a learning walk observations today and feedback. The AH who viewed my lesson today gave it an overall good with loads of outstandings. However he was rather shirty because he said I did not say to the students something along the lines 'if you do this.....then you will get this level......

I scaffold my task to make sure all levels are catered for and the students have the opportunity to work at their level and beyond, however the AH who is a PE teacher said this wasn't good enough. I tried to explain in history there are lots of different aspects that needed to be in place before a level could be given. All the students gave their level and knew what they need to do to improve. Surely this is more important than talking levels?

Am I wrong in thinking that if you do certain task you are working at that level in PE?
    How do you talk levels in history?
    Many thanks for your comments
    Pink

Thanks for any advice.

3. Will try to be helpful but may end up being a bit 'shirty' myself cos this really annoys me...so I apologise! First, a general point Learning Walks should not really be graded, how long was he there for to give you this judgement? If it is a learning walk he should be looking at specific things, such as praise/ use of objectives etc, and then providing specific feedback.
    Anyway onto more history related stuff, we have spent ages trying to explain to silly members of non humanities teaching SLT that levels really don't work like this and they should only be used as an end of stage descriptor etc etc. They don't listen because they are a little bit stupid and would think there is only one way to skin a cat! I think the next time he walks in ascribe Describe to Level 4, Explain to Level 5, Link to Level 6 etc (or something better than I can think of after a long Monday!) and then just use them for his benefit. Then go happily on your way teaching proper history and conceptual understanding which they will never understand!!

4. If you were standing in front of me I would give you such a big hug. Thanks!

First I really do agree with you about learning walks. The visit was for 50 minutes and we were told at briefing this morning that they would be happening. I wouldn't mind but we had an OFSTED at the beginning of December.
    When feedback was given today, I tried to explain that levels in history were given for the whole but it fell on deaf ears! It just gets my goat up that some people who observe have no real idea of what they are really looking for and surely that is a hinderance to pushing teaching and learning on within a school? Wouldn't mind but it wasn't that long ago that our AST was observed by another AH who gave her a satisfactory. Within weeks we had the OFSTED and the AST was awarded outstanding and the AH was unsatisfactory. The school continue to use AH as an observer! But I suppose that is another story!
    I'll do what you suggested next time, but again thank you for putting my mind at rest!

5. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

Many PE teachers I have met are as thick as two short planks and find the need to criticise those in academic subjects who can string more than three words together and spell them correctly. I'd wait until he puts a notice on the board - bound to have an error or two - get out a red pen and correct it; I might even award it a (low) level...