1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History IPAD

Discussion in 'History' started by Armchair Rebel, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Hi
    Santa came early - the head has given some select staff IPADs to explore for half a term. I have been playing with mine and love it.... but the time has now come to think about how it can support Teaching and Learning in History!
    Anyone using one? Got any ideas or tips?
    Thanks!

2. historyexcel

historyexcel New commenter

I know this is not what you are looking for, but my advice is dont plan to the apps. I have seen colleagues who jump from app to app and give CPD on what app I should be using. My advice is to keep the learning outcomes and process seperate from technology and to use apps as a tool that can support these processes with minimal effort.

For example, you might use the CNN Sold War series in your cold war planning if a DP teacher, and you want to talk about historiography using this material. It really does not matter if you watch it on video, IPAD, PC, MAC, thats not the core of what you are doing. If all your CPD, SOW etc are how to set up X app on your IPAD to watch the Cold War, then that time/related resources will have been wasted within a few short years.

I am not saying you do any of this of course. I am merely saying some educators do work like this when faced with new technologies and it is a false economy (in my opnion) and worth bearing in mind when planning using apps.

3. bookeater

bookeater Occasional commenter

@historyexcel
    Did you see that you were replying to a post from 2011?

4. historyexcel

historyexcel New commenter

Yes. I am trawling through the old posts on the history section responding to issues that I think have value and are worth a revisit.