1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History Interview Questions

Discussion in 'History' started by Sally1418, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Sally1418

Sally1418 New commenter

Following interviews for teacher of History posts there have been a number of interesting questions come up which I have answered during an interview and I just wanted to get your opinions on these:

What other topics do you think should be included on the GCSE specification and why?

How would you like to see the National Curriculum for History change?

What other topics do you think should be studied at key stage 3?

2. Sally1418

Sally1418 New commenter

Following interviews for teacher of History posts there have been a number of interesting questions come up which I have answered during an interview and I just wanted to get your opinions on these:

What other topics do you think should be included on the GCSE specification and why?

3. I can't think of a response to the actual questions but I have barely been answered any questions relating to history at interview.

4. dhartley25

dhartley25 New commenter

Hi Sally.
    Here are some of my suggestions. There won't be a rule to these as they are probing for your opinion and seing whether you are familiar with the curriculum and topics in KS3-5.
    You need to get an overview about what each of the exam boards offer as topics. A simple way of doing this would be to create a table and write in the topics/themes they (AQA, Edexcel,OCR, WJEC etc) offer. Mostly it will be SHP, Modern World or Social History courses and exam boards are quite similar. Once you have done this, then you can decide if topics/themes are missing that you would like included. Maybe more on revolutions, French etc at GCSE level etc. You will also now have a very good overview about what is on offer and know the details of the course your prospective school delivers.
    Again this could be a look around at what other schools offer and read the History National Curriclum document - it's not very long! Since 2008, the basics are that there is no goldern rule to how you should deliver the KS3 curriculum. As long as the HOD can justify why they are studying topics in a particular order and way then it is fine. A good way of looking at it is:
    - Do you want a thematic sow? For example study a topic on 'conflicts' 'People' 'Empires' in year 7, 8 or 9.
    - Can you show progression so that pupils are equipped for GCSE's? For example I teach a development study on Medicine in year 9 so pupils are prepared for their Crime topic in year 10 which also a development study.
    This is very current and so just keep a word document about some of the press statements. It is mainly an argument between teaching more facts and British History in place of skills. As a way of keeping yourself updated, the Historical Association website is very good for news on our subject. Also if you search the History area of this website or the articles in the tes magazine part and type in 'History' as the keyword, you should get enough information to support you at interview. Both also have a rough timetable showing when the new curriculum is planned to come into force - Sep 2014 (hopefully). Simon Scharma and David Cannadine have both written articles which are easily accessible online.
    Let me know if you need anything else.

Dan