1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History GTP...where are they?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by MKhistory, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Hello,

I'm just wondering if anyone could help me out here. I'm currently
    looking into a GTP in History but having some trouble finding somewhere
    that offers it. I was wondering if there was anyone who already is on a
    history gtp or has been on one previously and knows where i can look
    into?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Hello,

I'm just wondering if anyone could help me out here. I'm currently
    looking into a GTP in History but having some trouble finding somewhere
    that offers it. I was wondering if there was anyone who already is on a
    history gtp or has been on one previously and knows where i can look
    into?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

History is classed as a non shortage subject so it may be just included in an any other category. You will also find that many schools now teach Humanities and this has also reduced demand. Be aware GTP is less than 10% of ITT places nationally and when you drill down to non shortage subjects then there are very few openings. Do apply for PGCE this year as GTP competition is very intense

4. Eamaz

Eamaz New commenter

Deby Uni offer History. Im on the course this year, there's five Hist's on the course.

Good luck.

5. As someone else said above, History is unlikely to be listed as a specific subject by a GTP provider.

The GTP I'm on (Isle of Wight) has someone doing History, but that doesn't in itself mean that there will be one next year.

Best to check with the individual providers as to how they allocate places. For example, some will decide subjects first and pick trainees accordingly, whilst some will pick trainees first and thus allocate them to schools who have expressed an interest in having a GTP trainee in that subject. Most common, I think, is something in the middle.

6. I have my interview at Derby Uni on Mon 22nd for History GTP, how are you finding it?

7. Eamaz

Eamaz New commenter

It's good. Derby seem well informed and very helpful.

The interview is not too bad actually, its quite relaxed and not too imtimidating.
    The course leader is a historian so he's on the ball with the NC. I'd definitely brush up on KS3 and KS4 content.

If you want any other help, it wont be a prob.

8. Eamaz

Eamaz New commenter

haha just realised you've had your interview. How did it go?

9. I am interested in moving into teaching, but despite nearly 20 years of working in the media, I have to focus on my university degree subject - History for my qualification. However, despite the governments new English Bacc plans that require a humanities subject, I am struggling to find a GTP in History in SW. HIstory is still classified as a non-shortage subject.

Looks like GTP courses will now need to include History and Geography as shortage subjects, as I can't belive that there are enough qualified teachers out there to fill these new demands on schools and students. Can History teachers now expect a hefty subsidy or a golden 'hello' as other shortage subjects have received in the past? Also how many people have have signed up to train to train to teach ICT, D&T or RE - subjects that are not on the list - and now find themselves wondering if they have made the right decision?