1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History DT Planning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by reddevil, Dec 19, 2011.

1. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

Sorry I have no ideas for you but had to respond and say that it sounds a bit of a nightmare topic. I know that's no help, good luck [​IMG]

2. Blimey!

Something which may be relevant: when I was in China last summer, I went up into the mountains where they have rice paddies on terraces (Google Longji if you want to see what I mean). There they had the most amazing simple irrigation system - plastic tubing, with one side cut off to make it open, just attached to other bits down the mountain to direct the water. If one bit looks dry, they just move a couple of bits of tubing around. Could you do something with straws? I'm only thinking off my head but maybe - use scissors to cut straws in half lengthwise and attach them with sellotape down a slope of sand, so that if you pour water on the top, key areas get irrigated on the way down. The bit poured at the top could even be a shaduf that the children make. Something like that?

Good luck!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

They could pierce holes in straws...maybe?

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don'tknow if this will be any help? woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk
    You could investigate different materials/containers for the 'bucket' in the Shaduf and the optimum lengths & angles of the poles.Then choldren design and create their own.

5. mrst79

mrst79 New commenter

Thankyou everyone.Using straws sounds like a good idea, the shaduf part was quite easy it was the idea of forming canals in the classroom that filled me with dread.