1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History/ drama observation KS1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by littlelebowski, Jan 15, 2012.

1. littlelebowski

littlelebowski New commenter

Any feedback on my NQT observation lesson welcomed!
    The subject is history (Year 1 and 2) and I'm going to do drama in the hall. Quick warm-up game and then show targets and success criteria on the board. Targets are: To pretend to be a character/ To share ideas about what a character is thinking. I've tried to make the targets as child-friendly as possible so that all chn understand. I was inspired by a Powerpoint presentation about 'the wrong suitcase' here on the tes and I am going to show them a flipchart story about a female evacuee whose suitcase (and favourite toy) get mixed up with another child's at the train station. Lots of discussion about the images and the differences between then and now. (We have already discussed evacuees and looked at old toys). I will then show them the 'wrong suitcase' - a suitcase from a local museum that contains 1940's boy's clothes, toys, a flannel and an identity card. Who might it belong to? How do you know? We will then 'hot-seat' the little girl who has lost her favourite toy. (Model this first). Next the children will go into gps of 3 and create a 'snapshot' of the moment when she realises she has not got her favourite toy. Who could the other characters be? What expressions will be on their faces? At the given signal, they all hold their pose and then sit down as an audience. Two gps come to the front at a time and we give feedback. When I touch one of the characters, other children suggest what that character might be thinking. (Make sure any differences between then and now are addressed or drawn out - e.g. "I wish I had a mobile phone"). If time,create 'snapshot' of the moment when she found her suitcase and toy - how did it happen?
    Plenary: tell the end of the story - how the girl was reunited with her toy.
    This session will lead onto a writing session where they write to mother about what happened. The class have done all of these drama techniques before and are getting good at them (and really enjoy drama!)
    Any suggestions for improvement welcomed! People on here usually have some excellent suggestions...
    [​IMG]

2. littlelebowski

3. I like it! Only thing I would add is to make sure your warmup leads into the main activity eg walk across the circle as a particular character or 'freeze' in positions showing worry, joy, panic, etc
    How long is the lesson?

4. littlelebowski

Hi Consonant,
    Thanks so much for replying. I just had it! It was an hour long and I got 'good,' so I'm pleased. They absolutely loved the props and the flipchart and they were very pleased that the idea was initiated by a child. I definitely recommend this idea, as my observer said she learned something new and that it was clear that the children learned new skills and new information. Onwards and upwards!
    Boogiebeebie.