1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History co-ordinator - what to do first?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by teachtrevor, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Hello all,

I'm and NQT so just finding my feet, therefore appreciate any help/advice. I was asked (told) at the start of this half term to be History co-ordinator as the memeber of staff who is responsible has been on long term sick. There seems to be little in place, and a lack of organisation of topics/resources. I have no idea where to start. Any advice or suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

2. Hello all,

I'm and NQT so just finding my feet, therefore appreciate any help/advice. I was asked (told) at the start of this half term to be History co-ordinator as the memeber of staff who is responsible has been on long term sick. There seems to be little in place, and a lack of organisation of topics/resources. I have no idea where to start. Any advice or suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

3. I think I would start by asking the staff to help complete a long term plan so you know what each class/year group is teaching during each term. I would probably put a sheet up in the staff room and ask them to fill in what they do. Then I would probably check out resources and see what there is.
    Another thing I found quite useful was to ask people what they thought needed doing to help them teach the subject well and what they wanted me to spend my budget on.
    Good luck!!

4. Budget to spend - i wish!
    Thank you that sounds like a sensible place to start. I feel very out of my depth.