1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History at KS3

Discussion in 'Education news' started by LittleMatchstickOwen, May 21, 2019.

1. LittleMatchstickOwen

LittleMatchstickOwen New commenter

Like many other schools around the country, the school where I teach history have taken to delivering our GCSE course over 3 years. A few years back I was tasked with creating some new medium term plans that covered our KS3 course over years 7 and 8. This of course would be quite a challenge with the amount of content to squeeze into two years.
    Now of course, a couple of years down the line it has been decided that our KS3 scheme of work needs to be re-written as we’re struggling to cover all the topics sufficiently. To my horror, one suggestion was to take out the Romans and replace it with something else pre 1066. Can anyone confirm if they have gone down a similar route? I simply can’t imagine any history department in Britain who doesn’t teach the Romans, or am I being an old stuck in the mud?

2. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

For what it's worth, back in the 80s, I learned about the Romans in what is now called Year 2 of primary school and never covered them again. I know a fair bit about Roman history from watching TV documentaries, reading books and visiting historical sites. You can't cover every important historical period - even in a 3-year KS3. Just like when I plan my KS3 music curriculum I have to pick and choose a few genres. Hopefully you will inspire an interest in history (as my GCSE history teacher did) which will encourage the students to find out more after they finish school.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Since the National Curriculum came in (c.25+ years ago), the Romans heave been taught less at Secondary level than in primary (though you could, at first, do them as a study of a European Country, say). The current KS3 NC is here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...gland-history-programmes-of-study#key-stage-3

You will see the Romans are KS2. Given that you are only being allowed 2 years for a 3 year course at KS3, I would leave out the Romans and concentrate on the other KS3 NC Topics. If you want to do the Romans, why not start a 'KS3 History club' and look at them in that?

sabrinakat and sbkrobson like this.
  4. Brunel

Brunel Established commenter

Take heart - it could be worse. At my last school a 3 year GCSE course was preceded by a year of ‘Combined Studies’ in Year 7 which meant that KS3 history was inadequately shoe-horned into one year and students in Year 8 made their option choices after one term of history lessons.

5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

No they can’t take out the Romans; that would be a quarter of our national history gone!

Every young schoolchild knows that the history of Britain started with the Romans, had King Henry, became Victorian and then had a war starring a horse.

history200 and sabrinakat like this.