1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History at A Level

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Utopia067, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Hi
    I very much want to change my career. I've been in property too long and realise I should have gone into teaching a long time ago when I had the chance.
    However, I know now that I'd like to teach History at A level. I have a 2:1 in the subject but I didn't get a pass in Maths at school. Do I need to go back and get a GCSE or would this not be required for A level teaching? I realise that without Maths, I cannot go via the GTP or PGCE routes. I don't have experience in teaching either and would like to know how do I now go forwards at last to do what I really want to do?
    It's difficult to leave my current job completely due to my financial committments, however in order to gain some teaching experience I am willing to work part time if this is what I have to do. Should I just approach the local schools to ask if they would take me on in whatever capacity just to gain some experience? Is there any other way to achieve QTS?
    Many thanks.

2. Hi
    I very much want to change my career. I've been in property too long and realise I should have gone into teaching a long time ago when I had the chance.
    However, I know now that I'd like to teach History at A level. I have a 2:1 in the subject but I didn't get a pass in Maths at school. Do I need to go back and get a GCSE or would this not be required for A level teaching? I realise that without Maths, I cannot go via the GTP or PGCE routes. I don't have experience in teaching either and would like to know how do I now go forwards at last to do what I really want to do?
    It's difficult to leave my current job completely due to my financial committments, however in order to gain some teaching experience I am willing to work part time if this is what I have to do. Should I just approach the local schools to ask if they would take me on in whatever capacity just to gain some experience? Is there any other way to achieve QTS?
    Many thanks.

3. In order to teach any subject at any level you need to have maths GCSE or an equivalence test so you need to get this before you can move forward.
    I think you are a little optimistic that you would only be teaching A-level, certainly whilst training (unless you train for FE) you will be teaching History and perhaps other humanities throughout the school from 11-16 and if you're lucky you may get a few lessons of AS to teach. Posts just teaching A-level in any subject are few and far between I'm afraid.
    You need to make sure teaching is right for you before you make such a leap and the only way to do this is to get work experience in schools. Most people do this on a voluntary basis in the first instance, some work as TAs.
    Is there any other way to achieve QTS?
    PGCE, GTP, BEd, Assessment only route (for those with a lot of experience) or Teach First (priority subjects only)