1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History A-Level and GCSE options - who to choose?

Discussion in 'History' started by Sapphirats, Feb 7, 2011.

1. I am currently reviewing my departments A-level and GCSE specifications and would really appreciate advice from others on their opinons of the current choices available. Whilst I'm restricted by budget, I am looking for choices that will engage students at both levels. I am open to any exam board and have not ruled out any topics. Any advice positive or negative would be gratefully received.

2. I am currently reviewing my departments A-level and GCSE specifications and would really appreciate advice from others on their opinons of the current choices available. Whilst I'm restricted by budget, I am looking for choices that will engage students at both levels. I am open to any exam board and have not ruled out any topics. Any advice positive or negative would be gratefully received.

3. What do you currently do? Which bits are popular/not?

4. MarkJH

MarkJH New commenter

I am afraid that I wouldn't recommend OCR to anyone, having had very bad experiences with erratic marking and poor support at A-Level for several years. We have now switched boards.

5. I second what Mark JH said, I recently started A Level at my school and found the AQA spec really good different periods, countries to study.

6. MarkJH

MarkJH New commenter

On a positive note we do AQA Modern World GCSE. I had my gripes about the structure and content of their old GCSE MWH Specification, but the new one has been considerably streamlined. In particular the structure of the two written examinations is now far more straightforward than before. Our candidates took Unit 1 at the end of Year 10 very successfully. Although the content to be taught overall is about 25% less than on the old Spec. we have found that the Controlled Assessment took longer than expected and we are now having to move through the Unit 2 material at a fair old lick.

7. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

Modern World GCSE every time for me. I also quite like OCR A Level (Syllabus A) which is fine, but consider the Cambridge Pre-U if you have bright students...

8. MarkJH

MarkJH New commenter

Re Cambridge Pre-U. I'd love to know how many schools actually do History Pre-U. My spies tell me that the number is pretty insignificant.

9. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

Don't do Edexcel. Dept used to do AQA and they were much better.