1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

historical stories - romans

Discussion in 'Primary' started by inky, Dec 24, 2010.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

Romulus and Remus are the place to start, I suppose.

I'm going through a personal Roman history binge, so your question made me laugh. No offence - the more I'm learning, the harder it gets.
    List the topic priorities and stick to them. Housing, roads, whatever.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

And on no account forget some lurid bits. You can't do Roman History without them.

3. Hi

Sorry I think I was unclear, I meant that I am doing the year 4 english topic historical stories and I want to do it based on ancient roman times. I'm really struggling with the planning so any ideas will be welcome. Does anybody know of any good ancient Roman stories which I could use for a lesson on powerful verbs?

Thanks for your tips for the history lessons, they will be useful as I'm also doing Romans in history

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Decimate
    crucify
    copulate
    bribe
    corrupt
    etc

I think most strong verbs suitable for a topic on ancient Rome would be unfit for pre-watershed consumption.

Mind you, it's all great fun.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

6. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

How about the story of "How Horatius saved the bridge." Great drama, and might be able to manage some of the poetry, if you edit it and present it well.

7. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

Julius Caesar - the version for children that comes in a set of Shakespearan stories by Andrew Matthews and Tony Ross.
    Also versions of Romulus and Remus, Boudicca, Hannibal and Horatio (very good for drama and oral story telling)

8. Hi Taspat,
    If you email me your email addy ill send you the planning i did when i covered historical stories based on the romans. there are some really good books on amazon that i got.

9. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

10. Thank you for all the advice!

Blue3 that would be brilliant if you could send me your planning. My email address is tasnim1234@hotmail.co.uk thank you so much.

11. This is a wordless picture book
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandal-Picture-Puffin-Tony-Bradman/dp/014054173X
    good for children to describe scene and write
    Also as someone has already suggested -Roman Mysteries by Caroline Lawrence
    There is a book of short stories which is good Trimalcho's Feast??? or something similar and The Code of Romulus is a shortish book also in the same series
    Time Traveller's Cat and the Roman Eagle is another possiblility.
    If you have a Promethean board there are flipcharts for teaching unit 'Stories with historical settings on this site
    http://www.education.herefordshire.gov.uk/page.asp?PG_ID=64&GRP_ID=13
    (scroll down to get to year 4 Narrative)

12. Hi,

Would you mind sending me your planning based on Roman historical stories? Would be really grateful as i've got some ideas already but not 100% happy with them. Am sure somebody must have something better. My e-mail is: lcbanham@hotmail.com

Many thanks,

Lee

13. Gladiators Never Blink, Nick Warburton

14. pearle

pearle New commenter

Blue 3. I know this post was a long time ago but if you still have your plans for the historical fiction unit on Romans, please could you email them to me as well. My email address is cf.chapman@talk21.com

15. smiley786

smiley786 New commenter

I'd love a copy too please.

Anisamotala@hotmail.com