1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Historical stories linked to Victorians - Year 4???

Discussion in 'Primary' started by must be crazy!, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Seen lots of threads for different eras so thought I would ask for help with ours.
    Last year we did a Viking story[​IMG], but as we do the Victorians all year, has anyone found and used a Victorian story successfully with year 4s??
    Many thanks

2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

not used with year 4
    but last year used an adaption of "Dothbouy Hall" from "David Copperfield" very succesfully with my bottom reading group in year 5. They loved the acting part and making the sound effects as the cruel teacher hit the various boys followed by the final inevitable reversal!

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

also
    dependant on where you live/teach you must have lots of local places/persons linked to victorian times.
    Here in Portsmouth I worked at the local "Palmerston Follies", forts built in the mid 1800s, we have IK Brunel the great engineer, Dickens, A Victorian Warship etc etc. so I would find a local icon and then find a story related to the thing.

4. This is a lovely book.
    [​IMG]
    When Ned helps his grandmother clear out her attic, he finds a very unusual Victorian doll - she speaks! Ned and Lady Daisy soon become fast friends, even though he's teased at school for owning a doll. Ned learns to stand up to his father and the school bully in order to protect Lady Daisy. But then the doll is stolen - will Ned ever find her again?

5. Lion and the Unicorn

6. Street child by Berlie Doherty is great.

7. By Shirley Hughes? Isn't that an evacuee story - may be totally wrong!

8. Can I ask what story you used for the Vikings, as that is what I'm doing for year 4 this year.

Thanks

9. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

A second vote for Street Child by Berlie Doherty here. Really informative and a good story.

10. Thanks for all your replies! I will be investigating some of them further!
    The Viking story was 'Raiders' an excerpt in the 'essential text' book we use