1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Historical Reenactment for schools

Discussion in 'History' started by wellyvorny, Oct 16, 2019.

1. wellyvorny

wellyvorny New commenter

Hi everyone,

First post here. I am based in the Southwest, UK and do workshops for schools covering periods ranging from the Middle Ages to the First World War. Apart from mail outs and email campaigns, are there any effective ways to get the word out and into schools about what I am doing?

Many thanks in advance.

Mark Vaughan
    www.thehrs.co.uk

2. 10000YearsBC

10000YearsBC New commenter

Sorry, I'm not going to share too many trade secrets with you, but I would suggest a serious re-think of your website's home page which is rammed full of distracting code at the top of the page that will render it less relevant to Google searches. Study the topic of search engine visibility, and find out how simple HTML coding and careful meta tagging can raise your online profile substantially without paying a third party for the privilege. Make sure your website is mobile device friendly - simplicity of coding helps no end here.

Speaking for myself I don't bother with social media in any form, but I am aware that customer recommendations in selected Facebook groups for teachers can be helpful. I make no attempt to view, solicit or respond to those comments so I haven't a clue what's being said, but sometimes it helps.

I don't use unsolicited e-mails or mass mailing to schools, but I will put in the occasional appearance at relevant educational gatherings with a provider's table.

The bottom line however is to get out there, do a job that people are happy with, and gradually build up your reputation. They say the best plumbers don't have to advertise, but they don't get there overnight.