1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Historical figure recommendation (Reception)

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by claired82, Feb 9, 2020.

1. claired82

claired82 New commenter

Hiya

Has anyone covered a person from history in Reception? I know its not required but I have a really interested cohort (often talking about the past, famous pirates/royalty/athletes etc) and I think they'd enjoy it. I'm looking for someone with a simple, tangible, understandable story (so all abilities can access) and preferably an age-appropriate book I can purchase to read to them.

Thanks in advance for any ideas

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ask them?
    Mine are interested in figures from the past, but in a very superficial level and for a very short time.
    If I started a full on 'topic' for a week or two on a particular person I had chosen, I think they'd be bored brainless.

Just tell them about someone as it comes up.
    If they are playing planes, then speak about the Wright Brothers
    If they are looking at a globe, then speak to them about Columbus
    If talking about space, speak to them about Neil Armstrong and Buzz Auldrin
    If they are building castles, talk about William the Conqueror

There is highly unlikely to be any one person that all of them will want to know about.

3. claired82

claired82 New commenter

Yes, thanks, we've been doing that since Sept...researching online/in library, discussing/sharing knowledge, incorporating in play etc. I was just interested in what historical figures have captured the imaginations of other classes to give it a go. My own in-the-moment knowledge is often quite superficial in itself (dependent on topic) and this group would be interested in spending longer and really exploring a topic. They've been more than able to do this for other topic areas that have arisen from their interests (Chinese New Year, Remembrance/war, space, Australian bush fires etc) and have maintained engagement (driving the learning themselves) over 2 - 3 weeks easily.

I guess being bored brainless depends on how the topic is presented, rather.

Thanks though...