1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Historical Context OMAM Help!!

Discussion in 'English' started by ceehorse, May 25, 2011.

1. ceehorse

ceehorse New commenter

There is a 20 minute video of OMAM contexts called 'In Context' made by the BBC, and narrated by Andy Kershaw, years ago. It also contain contextual material for TKAMB and An Inspector Calls too. You probably have one in the dept somewhere! The ICT techies should be able to let you have the correct scart lead to attach a video player to a whiteboard. It's not whizzy but you could stop and start it and ask kids to link the film to bits in the book.

2. Maybe try and show a video clip of life in the 30's? I'm sure there will be some on you tube. Alternatively, you could get the pupils to research the following topics: role of women, the great depression, KKK, the dust bowls and opinions of migrant workers and get the pupils to draw the links to the text and characters. Sorry if this is the rambles I'm suffering from sick of Year 11itus!

3. Some Woody Guthrie songs?

4. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

I've used Guthrie with some success. And 'Strange Fruit'.
    Also a ppt of images from The Depresion, asking for instant reactions.

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

BBC Class clips has this video in four parts here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/Of%20Mice%20and%20Men

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide