1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Historical accuracy; "Were there still "Bandas" around in 1996?"

Discussion in 'Education news' started by BigFrankEM, Jan 5, 2016.

1. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

Personally, I very much doubt it.

Very much indeed.

(I recall being most impressed when my big sister had a highly coloured "bandaed" drawing of King Henry VIII of England no less stuck into her history exercise book. I am pretty sure that was round about 1959.)

And I remember using them myself to produce teaching materials. I certainly used them in the late 70s and early 80s.

But still being used as recently (sic) as 1996?

I doubt that very very much indeed.

Or am I just suspicious of everything from the self-styled "College of Teaching" ?
    http://www.claimyourcollege.org/category/what-are-people-saying/teacher-views/

(See second contribution by Gareth Davies.)

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I started teaching in 1991 and the Banda was relegated to history then. Can't imagine anyone using them in 96.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

The school I was at in the late 1980s removed them all overnight c 1989 citing potential dangers.

4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I don't think I saw one after 1980

5. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I started teaching in 1980, but by about the mid-80s, everyone used the photocopier. (Although the Banda was still hanging around ...........in the smoking area :p)

The chap in the link must be referring to his days as a pupil, I reckon.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I certainly used one in the starting years of my teaching career.
    I also remember when we had a training day on the computer (yes just one i the whole school) which was being brought in, so I doubt many people were using them once we were using computers and printers.

7. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I was using Banda machines up until 1990, the smell ! evocative of the times. I'm sure the school continued to use them after I left. My new school did not have them, I was amazed by the concept of photocopying when I moved there.

8. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I'm sure I was using Bandas post 1990. Not sure how far into the 90's though. They were much cheaper than Xeroxing. Xerox had the copyright or whatever on photocopiers of that era and charged 2p or something on top of the paper, ink etc. I remember our Head berating us at a staff meeting because the photocopying bill was £20k (and this was when a pint and a packet of fags cost ---- )!

Also Bandas could produce a class set of notes much more quickly than a photocopier of the 90's. You could also get multiple colours on your worksheets by using different ink papers. The operation of Banda machines was much more transparent and easy to use than many of the photocopiers so could be used when you were panicking!

I think the death of the Banda was the development of the photocopier to use computer scanning and printing techniques instead of the original Xerox copyrighted electrostatic mechanism. This allowed people to get around the copyright, in addition to producing much cheaper and more reliable machines.

I have come over all nostalgic for a lost golden time in eduction when we could actually enjoy our teaching. I also miss sniffing the alcohol solvent!! Ummm-m shouldn't have mentioned that I'm sure!

9. FrankWolley

Handing out a sheet produced on a banda in PSE on the dangers of glue sniffing, and watching the whole class sniff the pages - those were the days!

10. FrankWolley

TCSC47 likes this.
  11. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I know we shouldn't but----- LOL!

12. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I certainly used the Banda in the early '80s. I don't remember using it from '86 onwards - but I may be suffering from Banda related memory loss.
    The school I moved to in '91 may have had one that was about to be phased out, but I never used it.

13. tt198

tt198 New commenter

They were certainly in use at my school in '96/7, if not the following year.

14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I was definitely using a banda in 96. How do i know? I moved schools in 84, to a school with no photocopier, just a Gestetner for single documents. I was returning to my previous school to use their photocopier. We then moved on to some other machine (began with an R.....?), which worked by cutting a stencil and producing copies. By about 1990 we had a photocopier, but use was strictly rationed. It couldn't be used for producing class sets. And it was all black & white. So the banda was still in use, especially when you wanted colour copies. I left that school in 1997, and it was still around then.

15. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I left my first job in 1987 and never saw another Banda machine. I'm sure some schools continued with them a bit longer, but not many secondaries, I'd imagine.

16. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Don't recall dates but certainly used one even though we had a photocopier. reason was simple Banda free, but had to pay for photocopies, plus colour of course. Remember using a dot matrix printer to produce Banda Masters. Probably early 90's.

17. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I remember using multiple banda colours to make a Christmas Quiz circa 1991/2, they were considered to be a wonder by kids and teachers alike (due to many colours). They hung around for a few years after that, usually sat on the side somewhere available but not much used. I think it was the lack of consumables for them that sounded the death knell. There was great satisfaction to be gained from setting it all up and turning the handle to make the drum go round, no Ofsted or league tables in those days either, and it was all fields round here...

18. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I used Bandas for the first three years of teaching. I was using Banda'd resources as a supply teacher well up to the late 80s because photocopying was very much more expensive than it is now, and often the only photocopier available would be a small one situated in the front office. When I returned to full schooly activity in 1994, there was no Banda anymore but a room with two rinky-dink photocopiers in it that did fancy stuff like enlarging, reducing and booklet-making,
    It'll be bye-bye photocopying soon and hello everything digital.

19. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I have tried to go totally digital by scanning and printing from a computer on a printer. It has always been easy to print from a PC, but I have never found it easy to scan. I could not figure out the Cannon scanner at my college, but then I managed to figure out how to scan through my HP printer scanner at home but it was quite clunky and slow. Being able to scan diagrams and such from textbooks and project them in front of the class was quite a step forward. However when the HP packed up I got a Cannon printer scanner but I am still struggling with it. Sometimes I can get it going and sometimes I can't and I have no idea why. Being retired I don't have the motivation to spend too long on it, but I really want to scan in a load of old photos and this string has reminded me of that.

How well do others get along with their scanners? Is it just me?

20. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I've had a couple of dedicated scanners and scanned a couple of thousand 35mm slides on them. I set the scanner up with instructions on file size, resolution etc to put the scans into a file and then have it going when I was doing other things. They were quite slow so I got other things done too with a break to change slides and set up the new lot, still took a long time though.

A dedicated scanner machine is easier to use and for slides better resolution and quality, I haven't had a printer/scanner.

I presume the principles are the same, take time to work out all of the settings, scan at as high a resolution as you can or you might need to come back and do it again, write the settings down and accept that it's going to be an on/off job over a long time period. Clean the pictures as well as you can first, clean the pictures as well as you can first - worth saying that twice. You can clean up using software but it's much quicker to blow hairs and dust off than it is to digitally remove them from a scan.