1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hisory Unit 18- Local History

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shabana123, May 31, 2011.

1. Hi

I would really appreciate help in deciding how to approach the Local History Unit for my year 4 class.Can anyone tell me where I will be able to find resources for my local area aside from the library?

Thanks x

2. Hi

I would really appreciate help in deciding how to approach the Local History Unit for my year 4 class.Can anyone tell me where I will be able to find resources for my local area aside from the library?

Thanks x

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I suppose it depends on where your local area is!
    We have a published heritage trail for our town - you might have similar.
    The town council website also has some information.
    Do you have a historical society near to you?
    The British Legion or simlilar organisation may be able to put you in touch with elderly people who have lived in the area for many years and would be prepared to talk to the children.
    Your local library though should be high on your list of sources thoiugh as they will be able to tell you where to look for local information in addition to any that they might have.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

The children may also have relatives that will come in to talk.
    Is your school old? Do you have an ex head teacher from days gone by that could say how the school has changed?