1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

His Dark Materials, Sunday, 3rd November, BBC1 8pm

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Nov 3, 2019.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Anyone else going to be watching?

2. colacao17

colacao17 New commenter

Excellent - the pre-Christmas children's series was always a tradition for us in the run up to Christmas.

needabreak and lanokia like this.
  3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Yes, love the books, found the film a bit limp, but this looks better. Less "disneyfied", more thoughtful.

needabreak, lanokia and primarycat like this.
  4. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Me. Looking forward to it.

Dragonlady30 and lanokia like this.
  5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Looking forward to it too.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah good...

7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I'll watch it and hope its better than the golden compass film a few years back. Ruth Wilson has played some great parts recently so I expect it will be worth the watch and the trailer looks good.

mothorchid and lanokia like this.
  8. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Yes really looking forward to it.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yeah that was... forgettable...

Jamvic, primarycat and needabreak like this.
  10. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I'll watch it - hope it explains the books better! That said I read them when they first came out and I wasn't perhaps in the right frame of mind!

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I seem to remember really liking the first book... and then gradually going off the trilogy the further I got into it.

12. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

He is very austere. No happy endings if they don't fit the story. I respect that but I'm not sure if I like it.

13. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I read the books some years ago. I quite liked the film, but obviously the producers decided not to do the rest. To be honest I thought all that "dust" stuff and the interminable going through parallel universes was tedious.

14. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I'm ready for a pleasant surprise but I have my reservations.

Though probably wrong, I believe:
    I'd be being unfaithful to Clive Staples Lewis.
    This stuff is modern classics written within my lifetime so it'll not be that good.
    This stuff is written for children and pre watershed.
    It's on the BBC so it won't be theologically challenging.
    Like most of this stuff it will have contradictions in its metaphysics.

I see 'Warhorse' is on the BBC this afternoon. Again, I probably wrongly think it is written for children. It's popular so it will be moribund and predictable.

But I'll try to watch them both and see if I can prove my reservations wrong.

I don't want to get sucked in though!

15. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

I'm in two minds about watching - I'm often really disappointed by adaptations of books I've loved - but this does look like it has been well done and isn't trying to cram too much in owing to serialising rather than film, so I may watch.
    I read them in the wrong order, which is maybe why I liked The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass (especially) more than Northern Lights. Innocent that I am (was) I didn't at all get the dual/implied ending until I read about it subsequently...I am somewhat intrigued how they are going to deal with that when they come to the third series - I'm guessing going with the literal/innocent ending.
    He generally is quite a bleak author - have you read the Sally Lockhart books? As I recall they don't shy away from the unpleasant aspects of Victorian London (and elsewhere)

16. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I don’t do fantasy so I expect not

17. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I am looking forward to it. The film was such a disappointment. I saw a version of the trilogy done at the National Theatre that was so much better.

Jamvic likes this.
  18. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

I’ll be watching. Although I have an intense “visual” relationship with books I’ve loved, so often disappointed with film versions. Peter Jackson’s LOTR version was the only one I’ve seen that was an improvement on the books.

Has anyone read the prequels? They had mixed reviews. I guess there’s always a temptation for authors and producers to cash in on a success, but I can’t think of many that kept up the quality of the original.

(@Jude Fawley - the War Horse film is dire, don’t judge Morpurgo’s books by it! Stage show was better)

There are at least two scenes in the Dark Materials trilogy that I can’t even think about without getting ... seriously emotional.

Lee Scoresby’s death
    Lyra leaving Pantalaimon on the riverbank

19. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It doesn't start till 8.00 p.m., so not exactly the old Sunday tea-time children's series.

I won't be watching. I am always suspicious of TV/film adaptations of books, fearing they won't stay true to the books. And the books themselves I didn't enjoy. They left a nasty taste in my mouth.

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not suppose to eat them Chelsea!

chelsea2 likes this.