1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hiring saris

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by durgamata, Nov 22, 2011.

1. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

No idea about hiring saris but if you'd like to invite me to talk about Indian culture I could bring lots of saris. If you are near to a National Express Coach station and I know the dates in advance I can get tickets quite cheaply. For next term I am offering my services for expenses plus only £25 a day - which is a great bargain!

Alternatively I could send some saris with a charge of £25 for the service plus Pand P.

How many saris would you need?

2. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I don't know where you can hire them from but I bought mine from Birmingham very, very cheaply!

3. You might want to check out www.kareenascloset.co.uk. I know they do saris, salwars, and lehengas, and I think they serve the whole of the UK.

4. Charity shops in areas with large Asian populations are a rich source of all sorts of traditional clothes and other nicknacks, don't get carried away with the cultural aspect too much tho' or you will end up doing anthropology rather than RE.

5. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

true - and bear in mind that many educated Hindu girls tend to follow fashion these days and often - even if they are staying with their Asian culture - will wear Shalwar-Kemise rather than saris, only wearing saris when dressing up for weddings and family events - (although many do still wear them when going to worship at the mandir or temple.