1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hip replacement

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Honey Loop, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

Hi, I'm having a hip replacement in June and wondered what the recovery is like. The doctor told me to expect an average of 12 weeks recupertion time. I don't really want to miss the beginning of the new school term as I'd obviously like to set my rules and routines during that time. However, I wanted to know whether I'd be likely to be recovered enough to return to work after 9 weeks. (I realise that every body has different recovery rates)
    I'm in Early Years, if that makes any difference.
    Thanks for any responses

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

12 weeks is about right.
    I had mine resurfaced first but it failed resulting in a fractured thigh bone so I then had to have it replaced.
    Redwine fan's post is correct too - you'll be provided with a loo seat attachment, a chair or fittings for chair feet to bring it up to the correct height and you'll need to sleep on your back with a pillow between your legs (I found that the biggest inconvenience as I can't sleep on my back). You won't be able to drive but you'll be encouraged to build up your walking as quickly as possible. I was on a crutch before getting a stick but ilovesooty didn't have the crutch stage (from memory). I think that varies a wee bit depending on where you are. You'll also be provided with a picker upper (like janitor's have) which we called the 'icky doof' so that you don't bend or stretch too much).
    You'll be amazed by how pain free you will be very quickly but to make a full recovery you need to follow the instructions you are given and that includes how long to be off work. I'd say you'll need the full amount of time because the nature of your job requires, I'd imagine, a LOT of bending and crouching which will be very, very difficult in the immediate weeks following the op.
    Just do as you're told and stop feeling guilty and worrying about work!

3. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

Thank you both very much. I had kind of expected that when I was told 12 weeks, it would in fact be12 weeks recovery.
    You're right, Seren, it is the guilt about work that prompted me to post. I was informed about the booster loo seat (oh the joys...) and I cannot wait to get a grabber. My partner will just *love* the idea of me sleeping on my back and snoring like a hog!
    I was originally offered resurfacing, but the degeneration of the bone from October to January was considered too much for that to become a viable option. Then the doctor said, 'Anyway, you're too short for resurfacing' What? I'm 5'4'', how is that short?
    I don't drive but do rely on 4 buses a day to travel to and from work and, as well as all the squatting and crouching early years requires, it might be too much to return sooner than I should. I suppose I'll just have to accept that I'll have to instill my rules and expectations on my return.
    Thanks again

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It's not short - I'm 5'1". However, I was recently advised that resurfacing is no longer being done on women because it fails too often. There have been problems with it and some people have had compensation already.
    Although in theory it sounded great I'd go along with the consultant who told me recently that he was against it as an op in the first place.

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Seren's right: I never used crutches. I was in hospital for 5 days, and had the appliances mentioned when came out. I was driving and back at work in 6 weeks. However a colleague has just had it done and he was off about 10 weeks I think.
    I wouldn't have fancied trying to travel on buses that soon after the op though, and even though my job's pretty demanding it doesn't involve running after small children!
    12 weeks sounds reasonable given the demands of your job: take the consultant's advice!

6. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

I think my surgeon did a great job and I was complication-free luckily. I was driving after 5 and a half weeks and went back to work 6 weeks to the day after the op. I was discharged after 5 days and was walking with a stick by then - I honestly never had crutches. I was on far fewer painkillers after the op than before and I was discharged as soon as I could get up and down stairs which I had to be able to do unaided as I live on my own.