1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hip, Hip but not Hooray

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Spanakopita, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Over the past 6 weeks my hips have become so painful that I am finding it increasingly difficult to walk without imitating a penguin. It is very hard to stand up and start walking and I am in constant pain.Going up and down stairs is agonising. Because this has had such a rapid onset and advance I can't believe it is arthritis but it is giving me the $hits because I'm afraid I've got some weird disease that will stop me walking. I know I need to go to my GP and will do so when I get back to England but meanwhile I wondered if anyone else had experienced this and could re-assure me that I am not going to be in a motorised buggy before I can say Jack Robinson .Apart from this, my neck hurts and my coccyx. In fact I seem to hurt all over. This is peeing me off more than somewhat especially since I have always been very active and up till a year or so ago was walking between 5 and 10 miles a day without so much as a twinge.

2. My husband's hip deteriorated very quickly from "twinging" to "immediately operable". It didn't affect the rest of him but I know that walking oddly because of a fault in one bit can throw the rest of your skeleton and muscles off-balance and cause pain elsewhere. My nephew swore he was getting MS when what he had was flat feet that were affecting the way he walked!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Thank you all for your kind and helpful replies that have made me feel a lot better in my head. I will get onto it as soon as I get home.

4. Don't want to trivialise what could be extremely serious but it could be something as simple as wearing different shoes because you are on holiday. Also, is there a bath where you are staying (rather than a shower) - a good long soak in some Epsom salts (Radox) might work wonders - its great for gout!
    Best wishes.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Ah, it sounds as though you've developed the arthritis roll that I can spot from a 100 yards. I had very little bother from my arthritic hip until the cartilage finally wore away and the joint was bone on bone. Every now and then I'd get an even worse pain that the consultant explained was bits of floating cartilage that had worn off.
    Bearing in mind that osteo-arthritis is wear and tear and that you walk a lot it seems likely that osteo-arthritis is the most obvious cause of the pain. Ironically, walking is the best thing for keeping the joint supple in the first place.
    My money is on it not being anything more worrying.
    (Neck pain is just as likely to be osteo arthritis too.)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Humph! Osteo arthritis sounds quite nasty to me specially since the Fosimax isn't being prescribed any more because it gives you cancer of the oesophagus.

7. I'm sorry you are in pain Nutty.
    I think what is frightening is that we take our bodies so much for granted that when they start to malfunction or hurt (often due to wear, tear or plain old ageing) it throws us and has the old brain going into overdrive trying to work out what's caused the pain. (I am describing MY reaction to my body failing me, I have to say.)
    Yup - a check up at the Docs and I dare say some follow-up x rays or the like will be what's prescribed. I do hope you find some pain relief. I get lower back and hip twinges now and again and it's bloody uncomfortable but doesn't cause me continuous pain.
    As others have mentioned, a good long soak or some direct heat treatment might offer temporary relief.