1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hinduism year 1 - help needed

Discussion in 'Primary' started by haroon1234, May 14, 2011.

1. Hi
    I'm a trainee in a year 1 class. In R.E we've been learning about Hinduism. I'm going to be teaching the children about what happens in a Mandir. I'm struggling with ideas on what to get them to do for the main activity. I was thinking of giving them an outline of a Mandir and getting them to draw and label what they would find inside a Mandir. Do you think this will be ok? Does anybody have any better ideas? Any help given would be much appreciated.

2. I have been to a mandir many times but would honestly find it hard to draw what was inside. The activities you've chosen are very limited. I wonder if it is best thinking about the senses - the sound of the bell, the heat of the aarti tray, etc, the taste of prasad, the sight of the murti and the Hindu temple. There are plenty of great clips on the BBC Learning Zone that you could show the children.Activities could be based on the senses.

3. Hi
    Many thanks for your reply. I was thinking of modelling how to do the activity by drawing flowers, the statues, the food, puja tray etc. I love your idea about the senses. What kind of activity could I do on this though?