1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hindu wedding invitation - what to wear?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emerald52, Jun 30, 2015.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Have been invited to several ceremonies for a Hindu wedding. Ths ladies willsbe wearing saris but I'm not a Hindu. There is a marriage ceremony in the morning and lunch. Then an evening wedding reception with dinner, all in a very posh venue. Do I change? Should I wear short dress am and a long dress pm? Also an invite to their home from the brother of the bride for an evening of Mehndi, music and masti and a morning ceremony the next day before the wedding day. Any ideas from those who have knowledge of hindu weddings including colours to avoid. Don't want to offend anyone.

2. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

How lovely emerald52,

I went to a Hindu wedding, but it was over 20 years ago now. I was advised to cover up and dress respectfully. The religious ceremony was quite long (it took hours)- so if you are going to that part as well, I would opt for something comfortable too. I took a light-weight scarf and many people who attended had the same idea.

If you are still worried (you have been invited for lots of events, after all) and feel you might need more than one outfit, it's probably best just to ask advice from those who sent the invitation.

My friend (who invited me) had at least 3 outfits that I can recall. She had the wedding outfit, another one for the registry office ceremony and then one for the knees up afterwards.... it was a really busy day & night.

Have a lovely day.

SAL

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What an interesting experience.

I am sure your hosts will advise you. The shawl/pashmina idea is an excellent one. If, in comparison with others, you begin to feel a little 'exposed' you can make your outfit more modest and decorous and feel more comfortable.

4. tidal

tidal New commenter

Exactly
    If they're happy then everyone else will be

It's always worth asking if you aren't sure

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I think Hindu women wear three different outfits so that might indicate that you could wear different outfits for each part of the event. Ask the person who invited you as others have said. The Hindu women will probably be following cultural traditions rather than religious rules so I doubt if you wil offend people if you just wear something fairly conservative that you like.

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

If you go on the Diya website, you'll find the most gorgeous saris and outfits and they often have a sale on.

7. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

My wife is Indian, so I 've been to a few Hindu weddings. Most men, whether Indian or European, wear western dress, unusually a suit. As a European woman, if you just wear something 'sober', you will be fine. Don't worry about the length of the ceremony. For the guests, Hindu weddings tend to be like the old 'continuous performance', at the cinema: you can dip in and out. The actual ceremonials only involve the bride, groom and their immediate families; everyone else 'does their own things'. The only faux pas you can commit is to decline any food offered to you.