1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hindu images as decorative art?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by Durc09, Mar 2, 2012.

1. You can get decorative things with Christian symbols on them, Paperchase does lots of odd things with religious symbols on.

2. I think you're not really comparing like with like in terms of imagery. Plenty of interior and fabric design is inspired by Islamic traditions. If you look on the 'religious tattoos' website, you'll see lots of examples of Christian tattoos. However, there is a certain 'coolness' around Hindu and Buddhist images - for many people, it seems to connote ' India'.

3. I don't know, a lot of people have Ichthus and other Christian symbols on things. I think it's partly because a lot of imagery from Eastern faiths is 'exotic' and different. I have a fair bit around my house (particularly elephants...I didn't realise I liked them until someone pointed out that I have paintings and statues of them everywhere). It's largely what people find aesthetically pleasing. Whether this somehow 'waters down' the importance of these symbols is another debate...

4. Yes, but I think people wear Christian symbols or have Christian tattoos because they are Christians. If someone has a fish on the back of their car I assume they are Christian, although I appreciate that the cross is often worn as jewellery by people who aren't Christians. Do people who aren't Christians wear T shirts with pictures of Jesus on, or have statues of Mary decorating their garden?

5. The issue is whether having a Buddha statue makes you identify as a Buddhist. I don't think it does - the image is used as a shorthand for peace and tranquility. Hindu iconography is often seen as signifying India, or the exotic, as another person on this thread has mentioned. I think other religions' symbols - eg the khanda or ek onkar of Sikhism - are seen as more specific to adherents to their faith.