1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hinds to push ‘subjects of the future'

Discussion in 'Education news' started by phlogiston, Oct 2, 2018.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Damian Hinds will highlight the importance of “all the subjects of the future” when he addresses the Conservative Party conference this afternoon.
    https://www.tes.com/news/hinds-push-subjects-future
    So what is "doubling down"? I assume it means working even harder towards the more difficult GCSEs and A levels.
    "Leaving no child behind" is fine rhetoric, but it's fairly meaningless and suggests that he has not yet taken on board the nature of learning difficulties. It will make a good stick to beat teachers with in a couple of years.
    "What do you mean, you want pay progression? You didn't double down enough and that kid with the EHCP got left behind".

2. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I would like to think that he means, if the academic route does not fit then high quality vocational training might. Unfortunately schools are not set up to do this and not flexible enough to offer an alternative curriculum in which the student is both in school doing academic subjects like English and Maths and using alternative training off site. Do not get me started on the cost of all this we have seen what the Tories have done to the funding in education. Another Sec. of State having a dabble with pilot projects no doubt but never committing the sort of funding needed to make this happen nationally.

carterkit, Moony, tterb and 2 others like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Hasn't Hinds just admitted he can do nothing about reducing teacher workload? He's as much use as a fecki.n' chocolate teapot. T.osser...

4. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

How can they raise academic standards while at the same time getting rid of experienced, well qualified teachers and replacing them with inexperienced ones with no qualifications in the subjects they teach?

Moony, lanokia, Shedman and 7 others like this.
  5. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

So we want to focus on the rounded individual but not at the detriment to academic standards?

Does that mean that school's must still hammer away to get the same results but at the same time ensure they teach art, computing etc? That doesn't mean less of a focus on data and results but that there's another thing to focus on on top of it.

Shedman and JohnJCazorla like this.
  6. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Haven't most of you learnt to just ignore what most politicians say? Move along. Nothing to see here. Just another one of them, full of waffle and empty promises.

rehaank, JL48, Mrsmumbles and 6 others like this.
  7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I'm sure you can work it out.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Hinds to push ‘subjects of the future'

Would that include something like electronics? This subject was scrapped in my old school when I retired to save money. Electronics has had a profound influence on our modern society - internet, mobile phones etc. If there are 'subjects of the future' then electronics was one of them.

The school curriculum is becoming a wasteland for subjects outside of the Ebacc.

Mrsmumbles, phlogiston and lanokia like this.
  9. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

"Subjects of the future"?

I thought the intention of Gove's reforms was to return the curriculum to how it was in the 1950's, although ignoring the fact that it is a curriculum which was then only taken by the 20% or less who went to grammar school.

10. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

As much use as Gove’s plastic surgeon...

FrankWolley likes this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

It’s such a fab job. Just bull away. Pose and shake hands, pronounce deep and meaningless epithets, earn loads of cash, get promoted, knighthood, fat juicy payout. Get rewarded for apathy and stupidity.

David Getling and phlogiston like this.
  12. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

If you look carefully at what he said, it is full of meaningless, vacuous soundbites for the media. There is nothing there of substance, nothing that can be called an 'action point' and nothing that can be measured in three year's time.

It is just spin, worthy of 'The thick of it'.

lanokia and phlogiston like this.
  13. Mrsmumbles

Indeed. Mr Frothy. Mr Vapid. Mr ‘All Fur Coat And Nay Knickers!’

14. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Get a bigger metaphorical stick to beat teachers with? Especially as more kids and staff start to crack as the pressure is cranked up.

15. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Geology is the same as much of what we need for many aspects of our modern life is extracted from the ground. To find new deposits and the like you need more geologists.

Shedman likes this.
  16. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

I suppose we should at least be grateful that kissing babies appears to have gone out of fashion;).

17. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The babies I know are grateful for this.