1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hiking boots

Discussion in 'Personal' started by funkymonkey, Nov 27, 2007.

1. funkymonkey

funkymonkey New commenter

Mrs Monkey is off hiking for three months in India, thialand, china, nepal and vietnam....she bought a pair for 260 quid but can try they round the house..what does one need to consider when buying hiking boots? all help appreciated

2. funkymonkey

Mrs Monkey is off hiking for three months in India, thialand, china, nepal and vietnam....she bought a pair for 260 quid but can try they round the house..what does one need to consider when buying hiking boots? all help appreciated

3. funkymonkey

thank you a great help.

4. silkywave

silkywave Occasional commenter

waterproof (goretex)trainers with walking boot soles.
    lighter than walking boots. Walked all around europe in them no problems. dont cost more than about £80 for a good pair.
    If you are doing a lot of hill walking then walking boots with ankle support help me and rocking action on toes to get up hills easier (i need all the help i can get.) i went to shops in scotland they had lots of choice and didnt mind you testing them out thoroughly first before i bought my last pair.
    my latest pair are lovelly and i take them to bed with me.... well i did til i walked across farmyard.

5. Biggest question is do they fit?

Spending a lot of time on your feet can cause them to swell, so the boots need to be big enough.

The best way of testing whether they are the correct size is to loosen the laces. Put a bare foot into the boot and then wiggle it forward so toes are just touching at the front of the boot. If the boot is the right size you should easily be able to get a finger or two between your heel and the back of the boot. If there isn't much space at the back of the boot then it is too small and is likely to cause blisters. If it feels like a welly then it is too big.

If the fit is good then you need to play with how the boots are laced up, it may take some time to get it right - so keep adjusting as you go. If your boots aren't laced tightly enough they won't offer the ankle support they should and when you walk downhill your toes will slide forward and bump against the front of the boot. If they are too tight you may cause friction hot spots and blisters.

Lastly get some good socks too - some people prefer to wear a thin liner sock with a thicker sock over the top. Personally I just like to wear one medium thickness good quality sock which grips my foot well and doesn't slide around. Smartwool socks are my current favourite http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/smartwool-hiking-light-crew-womens-p138033

Don't take a chance on getting blisters - Compeed Anti Blister stick really helps to protect your heels http://www.boots.com/en/Compeed-Anti-Blister-Stick_18652/ and their plasters are excellent for when the damage is already done http://www.boots.com/en/Compeed-Blister-Mix-Pack-of-5-_1212444/

Lastly before wearing the boots out and about I would want to consider whether they are right for the type of trip. If you have spent £260 on boots they could be fairly substantial technical walking boots. How heavy are they, how stiff are the soles? What sort of walking are you going to be doing? Will you be carrying a heavy rucksack?

You need to get the right tool for the job - if you are just going to be doing a few day walks then you might want to get a lighter pair of boots or even approach shoes with more flexible soles - I love the Salomon XA pro http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/xa-pro-3d--ultra-2gtx-w.html if you will be trekking on rough terrain and/or carrying a big rucksack you will need something more substantial.

I hope this helps
    Zoe www.azexpeditions.com

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As mcleanzoe said, a size bigger at least to allow for the inevitable swelling and the thick socks needed. Though my son says that may not always be the case nowadays.
    There are special socks, supposedly anti-blister so try looking for some of those. (Sorry, just spotted poster above already suggested these. Their advice is good when you wade through the lack of paragraphs.)
    Whatever you do, don't buy a new leather pair and expect them to be comfortable- they are lovely when they're 'worn in', but do take quite a while to do so.

7. I've always found Hi Tech boots to be light, hard wearing and very comfortable. I wear them with '1000 mile' no blister sock 'liners' which are actually thin socks.
    I did try their leather boots, a size too big with many sock layers but it just didn't work for me.

8. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

To be expected, however walking around the house is very limited.

She really needs to find a pair that feel right, go to lots of shops and try them on. Most will have artificial hills etc she can walk about on.

I am lucky as I can wear normal boots without then being a pain. One of our hiking party as issues as he messed up feet, so takes him a long time to find a pair.

She will need something sturdy that will take a bit of a battering
    Ideally something a bit more substantial to a pair of trainer boots, esp if walking off road.
    2 pairs of socks. A thin one for wearing next to the foot, and a thicker outer one.

Why 2 pair? the socks rub against each other and not sock on skin which limits the amount of blisters she will get.

I suggest she does a lot of walking in them before she goes, (20 miles min, doesn't have to be in one go) in order to break them in and mold to her feet!

Good boots I have had have included berghaus (my perdonal favs), regatta and Salomon.

http://www.hikingbootsguide.com/

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just been talking with my son who recommends getting some 'seal socks' and talcum powder. Just before going to bed, talcum the feet, massage and then put on seal socks. Next morning repeat- helps to keep the feet warm and circulation working.
    He also <u>does</u> recommend leather boots, Dubbinned daily to stay waterproof - says the Gortex-type ones, whilst keeping the feet waterproof, do get wet and therefore cold when you put them on the next day unless <u>really</u> well dried out.

10. I bought my latest pair from Cotswolds - they were great and were able to advise me on what pair to get. I have very narrow feet and they even took the lining out of the shoe, put raisers in and then put the lining back. I was also able to try them on with a pair of socks from the range. The service was great and they weren't pushy when I didn't like the ones they recommended. I am not a fan of leather boots - I think they are much more likely to rub when they are still new. I have a pair of Merrell boots and shoes, and two pairs of north face shoes. The Merrell ones are particularly light and comfortable.

11. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

I swear by 'scarpa' boots - I've had the pair I've got for the last 10 years. They cost me just over £100 at the time. I made sure I got a pair that I could wear fitted gaiters with if I wanted to. I think one of the main things I wanted was 'leather', because I knew they'd be hard-wearing and the fit I did with wearing a pair of hike socks.
    MM

12. Scarpa SL3s for me, I paid &pound;120 with various discounts applied.
    I would only say on the subject, get proper boots, not the 'approach' type shoes mentioned by an earlier contributor. I have walked hours and hours and hours in my Scarpas and not had a problem ever. The only problem I had was actually stepping outside in them once I had decided they were right. Putting &pound;200s worth of boot in a Dartmoor bog for the first time was quite a trauma!
    I hope she has a great time.