1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HIGNFY? Were there no celebrities available?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Still at it stirring things up I see. How would you know if you are a student, you weren't even born? Early shifter at disrupter HQ?

2. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

Just stop the harassment, sweetheart . Its not even on topic.

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I disagree. Laughing at women, older women in particular, non-white people, gays etc just for being what they are is never funny.

vannie likes this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Funny though:eek:

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So it's only ok to joke about straight white (going to assume christian) men?

6. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

Mark Lamarr + Jo Brand would be good together on this show.

InkyP likes this.
  7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

This was the significant bit - that being an older woman (i.e. mother in law), gay or black is intrinsically funny. That being gay or whatever is the joke is not OK.

Of course I don't mean that, anybody can be part of the joke but not be the joke because of what they are.

8. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Isn't an integral part of, for example, Julian Clary's humour the fact that he is gay?

9. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

You not liking his jokes does not mean he wasn't a great comedian. The ability to tell jokes on stage is a separate skill from the content. That said, his jokes weren't limited to the subjects you think they were limited to.
    I am surprised you went to see him

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Haha. No money of mine ever went in that man's pocket. He was on TV in the early 70s and wasn't funny then. I saw enough to know I didn't like it.

11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I'm afraid a lot of unpleasant things that are said are very funny indeed. It's the inappropriateness and shock-value that prime the recipient. Of course, many people now have been trained to over-ride that first response and channel it into disgust, disapproval and indignation.

12. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

No! Larry make a lot of money from being camp! From Dictionary.com - a person who adopts a teasing, theatrical manner, especially for the amusement of others.

Although Larry was gay, he never referred to his own sexuality in his act.

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Not me, I'm glad to say.

14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I have to agree with the distinction. I didn't personally think much of Manning's choice of material, but he knew all about timing and delivery. He also knew how to play an audience.

BertieBassett2 likes this.