1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HIGNFY? Were there no celebrities available?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Dec 14, 2018.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Who the heck are the guests tonight?

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I've seen the guy before and he can be quite funny. The rest of the time I'd like to smack him. :mad:

Don't know the lass.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You are right, whoever he was he was quite funny. Sort of Julian Clary Lite. The woman, won't be sorry if I never see her again.

4. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I didn't know who they were and found them fairly un-funny. Just because the guy is gay, why is it funny that he commented how handsome he finds Macron? Or his comments about clothes? Talk about stereotypical. I didn't feel he (or the woman) were contributing anything to the show and there wasn't much from Ian or Paul either.

Not a very interesting episode and Gary was uninspiring as host. Definite barrel-scraping methinks.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

No idea. Was staff Xmas do. Turned up after 6 a.m. start (12.5 hr shift) with kids; so tired I scoffed my actually very delicious meal and bug gered right off.

6. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Perhaps this evenings uninspiring HIGNFY was a consequence of the BBC's inclusivity agenda. The guest host was a middle class heterosexual male as were the two team captains. This meant one of the guests had to be female which then meant the remaining guest if a white male had to be gay. One might speculate that more amusing potential guests could not be invited.

7. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

HIGNFY? ***?

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Gay is always funny. Larry Grayson made a huge amount of money out of it.

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Have I Got News For You! Do you live on Mars?

10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I think you may be confusing gay with camp.

Burndenpark likes this.
  11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

It is not the celeb guest's show, its Merton and Hislop. Merton's one liners are still killers, and Hislop is still funny. I thought it was no worse than usual except Lineker should stick to crisps and football.

12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Ayesha Hazarika is mostly a political pundit. I've seen her mostly reviewing the papers on Sky News and she does an occasional programme on LBC. She also writes in the London Evening Standard.

Apparently she is also a stand-up comedian, although she was somewhat in the shade on HIGNFY last night. As a pundit she is articulate and often spot on, imo. I Like her.

13. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

He seems to be a dreadful name-dropper, although I can't say I've heard of many of the names he drops!

14. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I had watched the programme for years before I worked out HIGNFY - it just never occurred to me that a TV comedy programme would be refered to in that way

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Julian Clary can be very funny. So can Grayson Perry. Where they differ from the idiot last night is that they don't actually say much on HIGNFY unless it's worth saying, whereas Tom Allen couldn't keep his mouth shut.

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I never watch the programme as I do not think it is funny. Same lame programme with little humour.

17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Confused? Moi
    [​IMG]

18. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I thought it quite good - Ian and Paul were humorous and Tony Allen funny-ish; I didn't think the woman was particularly funny either and commented to MrSK about the BBC's diversity policy backfiring somewhat. A 7/10 overall.

19. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Tom Allen used to be amusing, but since he became more well known, he’s become a cariacature. I hated him on Bake Off Extra Slice. Unfunny.

Love Julian Clary. Allen is not a patch on him.

Mrsmumbles and minnie me like this.
  20. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I thought Sandi Toksvik was permanent presenter now.