1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Highs and lows of this academic year

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Jul 18, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

Here we are another academic year almost over: It seems like more than a year when school life was racked with challenges and with the support of the TES community I was able to regain my composure and survive.

What have been the lows and highs for you?

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Highs - we finish on Thursday and I am one year closer to retirement.

Lows - another year spent in a disorganised school in a department which is no longer any fun to work in.

3. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

@peakster I didn't realise we actually worked together. See you in about an hour and a half. ;)

4. delmamerchant

Can you feel the envy flowing through the keyboards as I type re the retirement:). The year will go so quickly!

Departments that are not fun to work in. There is definitely something in the water re this. What is it?

But I guess at meetings you can sit there dreaming of where you will be in a years time:)

5. delmamerchant

So what have been your lows and highs?

peggylu likes this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've had lots of highs in teaching - but not this year.

7. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

Highs: Some great students, some wonderful and supportive colleagues, a couple of very positive new adjustments to the school day.

Lows: budget cuts are biting: lots of staff off sick, lots of cover to do for them, too much content to squeeze in for the new GCSE and A level specs and having to cut corners to get it finished. More responsibilities being taken on, with no extra money to reward the commitment. Seeing good people burn out and exhaust themselves.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

High: I can teach in my new subject area.

Lows: Having one pupils complaints taken seriously. One...

9. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

Staff morale has plummetted. New HT seems interested in the school and staff only insofar as they reflect well on him. Vastly over-promoted and overpaid HR person continues to shaft well-meaning employees, mis-spell job adverts and be generally carp. Staff turnover at an all-time high (or do I mean low?). Bizarre budget cuts while 5 SLT are on £50K+.

I can't think of any highs this year.

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Highs: last year's results were good. I have enjoyed all of my classes this year.

Low: lack of support over one parental complaint.

11. DeviousDevil

DeviousDevil New commenter

Highs
    Birth of my son.
    Promotion.
    Friendly colleagues who are eager to do well.
    Moving into newly built school in September.

Lows
    Our students are struggling with the new 9-1 GCSE in science.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

.....all students are....I've been teaching for 20 years...it's a terrible and ill conceived course and its just soul destroying to teach..

Results will be abysmal next year unless grade boundaries are very low,

Students uptake of Science A levels will plummet.

Many Science teachers will leave the profession.

13. Gemspecs

Gemspecs New commenter

@Calpurnia99 that could be EXACTLY my school :eek:...I'd like to think that they're different schools, but that would mean there are TWO of these establishments inflicted upon us poor teachers!

Highlight: Only TWO more gets ups and the usual few cards/thank yous from certain students that mean so much more than any half-a*sed SLT round robin.

Lows: The odd nastily written, snotty, parental complaint email (just one this year (of two I've ever had of this type)-but when they're extra-vicious, the bad taste from them certainly lasts for a few weeks.

14. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Highs - I'm still out of the mainstream!
    An elective mute restarting speech
    One of my adult maths learners telling me she'd gained the confidence to apply for a better job after passing her functional skills maths
    Lows
    Eating disorders
    My friends back in St Custard's are still being messed around and miserable.

15. delmamerchant

A real mixture of u and down.

Have a lovely summer

16. delmamerchant

Yeah, now no more get ups.
    it is good that you get thank you cards. a student asked me the other day if I was going to give them presents as they had made so much progress!!!. I said, ummmm, perhaps you should consider getting me one as a thank you:eek::)

17. delmamerchant

Re the complaint. You are not alone. ditto

18. delmamerchant

Our school have decided to go back to a btec version...they stopped doing it a couple of yeas ago as it just did not work for the students...clearly someone has forgotten:)

19. delmamerchant

Can I come and work at your school? did I read friendly colleagues? :):):)

20. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

Highs:
    Working with the most fantastic staff. We laugh all day long.
    Getting SEN children into the most appropriate provision for them, even if it's a fight and I upset people on the way.
    Lows:
    Realising that the most important areas of progress in a child can't be measured and won't be reported or judged on.
    The poor quality of teacher training nowadays.