1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Higher V Foundation in the same class

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jolynchie, Mar 28, 2011.

1. jolynchie

jolynchie New commenter

Hi,
    I have a Year 11 group of 20 for French. Hlaf of the class are doing Foundation Reading-the other half Higher. For the Listening only 2 are doing Higher. I was jsut wondering what other people do with regard to Past Papers, do you make them all do Foundation/Higher during the lesson for Listening? In the past I've given Readings for homework but don't want half the class to sit their bored when I'm going through the paper they're not doing...I don't have access to any IT facilities at all during the lesson so any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

The only suggestion which springs to mind is to 'split' the class into two differentiated activities.
    Gp 1 (Higher) do buddy Afl work looking/comparing each other's papers (using some printed guidelines from you) whilst you do some intensive work with gp 2 (Lower) going over the papers. Then about halfway through gp 2 do buudy work improving their anserw in the light of your teaching & you look at gp1s work incorporating suggestions they've come up with during the previous part.
    Or turn it into a competition All do same piece of reading but gain different points/have extra or less time for answers.

3. I have in the past simply combined the two papers together, and everyone did the lot up to the end of the "crossover" section ( the Higher candidates were told it was good vocabulary revision, and they have always been happy with that). Then Foundation candidates were given some alternative task to get on with on their own. Occasionally Foundation candidates have a go at the higher questions anyway - just to see if they can do any of it, but that's their choice. It's always worked quite well.

4. mpc

mpc

I alternate listening papers (higher and foundation). Students do reading under their own steam.

5. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

I have 14 in my class - the 4 foundation work on a past paper with headphones at the same time the highers do theirs.