1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Higher pay for industry experience

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by annrose85, Mar 11, 2012.

1. I am currently a Science GTP and start my NQT year in September. I have been told by a friend who is a qualified teacher that if you have previous experience in industry you are payed more. Is there any policy/ documentation to evidence this?
    Thanks for your help in advance :)

2. I am currently a Science GTP and start my NQT year in September. I have been told by a friend who is a qualified teacher that if you have previous experience in industry you are payed more. Is there any policy/ documentation to evidence this?
    Thanks for your help in advance :)

3. emids77

emids77 New commenter

Depends on the school, but in theory, yes. It's how relevant you make your experience- eg in depth knowledge in certain areas of science, good knowledge of different science careers, further education, management and big up any supervisory or teaching roles you had- sandwich/visiting/PhD students etc.
    My NQT school had a written policy- I think it was 3 years of relevant experience got you an extra point on the MPS. It depends of course on how relevant you make your experience, but if it was in pharma, engineering or similar, it will be easier.
    Maybe at the end of any interviews, you could politely enquire that 'if you got the job, would they take into account your previous experience when setting your salary?' Someone gave me that advice, and it worked for me. If you don't ask at all, you may find yourself on MPS1 when you may have got a little higher. Don't feel like you are being cheeky- you can be professional and polite. If they like you as a candidate, they will consider your request.
    Good Luck!

4. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

You will have to demonstrate that your experience is relevant to teaching and will place you at a serious advantage over other NQTs without industry experience. At the end of the day, working in industry is not necessarily going to make someone a better teacher than someone straight out of university.
    You can ask, but it's unlikely to be offered to you. The time to raise it is once you've been offered the job and before accepting.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Experience outside of teaching is down to the individual school and the Governing Body. They can use discretionary payments to enhance a salary but I would be wary of pushing this too far particularly if you are an NQT. Somer schools operate an early start scheme for NQTs in place on salary enhancement and pay you over the summer starting all their NQTs on M1.
    The time to discuss this is before accepting a post so raise this at ithe selection and nterview