1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Higher Level Teaching Assistant Courses

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by clwilliams12321, Nov 9, 2019.

  1. Hi guys,

    I currently work part time in the maths department in a secondary school and my SENCO has asked me to move over there full time and also to find a HLTA course.

    She’s told me to look for one that specialises in maths but I wasn’t aware that these existed... has anybody done this before or has any experience of looking for such courses?

    Thank you in advance!! X
  2. sunshineneeded

    sunshineneeded Star commenter

    Hi clwilliams, congratulations on being offered the full time role. Their used to be a HLTA Maths specialism course, as well as an English and a Primary one, but I don't think they exist any more - I think the specialist courses were cut when government funding for the course was withdrawn.

    However, when you start your course you will be asked for your 'area of expertise' - and yours would definitely be Maths! Your need to look on hlta.org.uk. This is the HLTA National Assessment Partnership and you should be able to find out from there which organisation covers your area of the country. You can then contact them and find out where your nearest 3 day preparation for assessment course is. This is the only accredited route to achieve 'official' HLTA status. You will find lots of 'HLTA courses' on-line, but please don't be tempted to part with your money - these are NOT accredited courses and, somewhere in the small print, it will say something like: 'our course will give you the underpinning knowledge you need to achieve HLTA, but it will not give you the status'. The only way to achieve this is to complete the 3 day preparation course and then be assessed at your school in a half day assessment process.

    Post again if you have any more questions - best of luck!
  3. rolls

    rolls Occasional commenter

    You might look for a Foundation Degree that has specialist modules in mathematics. This will be more expensive and time consuming but will allow you to specialise and might put you on the road to teaching if that is what you would like to do in the long run.

Share This Page