1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Higher Ability Maths resources

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by rainbow brite, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I am the Maths co-ordinator at my school and am currently looking into higher ability resources for each year group. We have the Collins scheme (not the Enriching Maths books - what are they like?) already although we don't work exclusively from that. I find that I make or find resources from the internet to suit the objective/learning I want to take place. However I need to be seen to be doing something as it is a whole school issue and was picked up on by the dreaded Ofsted and I don't think "make worksheets/look on the internet" is really going to cut it so I wondered if anyone could recommend any good resources that are available for all year groups that extend HA children.
    Thanks

2. star9

star9 New commenter

Which Year groups/Key Stages?

3. Sorry, I totally didn't make that clear! I am at a primary school so Years 1-6 mainly with any additional guidance for Reception appreciated.

4. star9

star9 New commenter

Have you got links to Nrich and mathematical challenges for more able pupils?

5. hi - if you take a look at our website, www.mathswarriors.co.uk, you'll find a range of resources specifically designed for the more able pupils - for example, in the 'worksheets / workcards' section there are sets of 'challenge cards' for years 3 to 6 (all complete with answers) - and there are other worksheets too which might suit your purpose eg the 'number placement' problems or the 'sets and logic' problems - it's all free of charge and ready for you to download and use - and all materials have been well tried and tested in the classroom with more able children - hope this is helpful - best wishes, kk / maths warriors ps you might also consider adopting a whole-school policy on investigative maths (ie that there should be maths investigations of some sort as a regular part of the programme) - there are ks1 and ks2 investigations on our website which i think you might like - but obviously elsewhere on the internet too

6. we keep a box of the latter in each classroom for the more able to dip into whenever they have finished their set work - they do start as ks1 - - however, it doesn't really work in one year group where most of the able kids are a bit wimpy - they work best when 2 or more kids can have a go at them together - so the one truly sparky kid in that year group prefers to act as a pupil teacher
    they're not available on the government website any more, but lancashire gfl has them
    also - you need a time and person kids can go to to discuss problems they're stuck on
    there is an issue with maths - it is where the fractures widen first as it can be hard for gat kids to enrich their own work (rather than doing more of the same, with more difficult arithmetic) in a way they might in english or topic-based work - we take a cohort out from each year group once a week for an off-curriculum lesson, but that relies on a volunteer, as do other schools i know who do similar