1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

High staff turnover = ofsted?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by leo07, May 23, 2019.

1. leo07

leo07 New commenter

Out of curiosity, if a very high proportion of teachers left a school within one academic year, would it trigger an ofsted inspection?

If so, would they visit before the end of the academic year?

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

No.

3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I think someone here is labouring under the impression that Ofsted/Government/Academy sponsors/Management give a flying fork about teachers.

4. jen_jen1986

jen_jen1986 New commenter

I worked in a school where 4 out of 7 teachers left at the same time due to the workload and stress. Ofsted came 3 months later and rated the school good. They couldn't care less about the fact that staff left because behaviour, management, workload, pressure etc was causing staff to have mental health issues.

5. miranda-s

miranda-s New commenter

It didn't trigger an inspection when about 85% of the teaching staff left my previous school at the end of one year, leaving many departments without a single remaining member of staff, and the school were unable to replace everyone and had about 50 supply staff in from the start of the following year...

6. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

You would think wouldn't you.
    I have worked at schools where there has been a very high staff turnover, usually because of poor management, workload, bullying, pupil behavior.
    All OFSTED and the government care about are results. Any other issues they will either deny or ignore.
    Any governing body worth the biscuit should investigate issues of high staff turnover in their school but don't hold your breath.

7. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

For some reason I have something telling me that a high turnover of SLT might trigger an ofsted, perhaps someone can correct me?

pepper5 likes this.
  8. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Think that's the other way; an Ofsted can trigger a high turnover of SLT (when it's not favourable)!

9. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Difference between high turnover of teachers and that of SLT.

If it triggered Ofsted I can think of many schools that would have been inspected recently.

Besides, it's gov't policy - haven't you seen the ads? "Teach first, then get a proper job"

10. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

It didn't trigger an inspection where I was. Almost 5 years later, there still hasn't been one. I think the school in question still has a high turnover of staff. No one seems to care a fig about high turnover or question why.

11. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Nope.

I worked in a school for 3 years that saw 3 MFL depts come and go, 2 Hums faculties go, and about 150 D and T teachers come and go.

It was only when the HT boasted and failed to get the School in two MATs and results dived for four years on the trot Ofsted came in.

School I left last year seemed to have on average 50 staff joining and leaving per year. No one seemed to care why.

jlishman2158 and agathamorse like this.
  12. ajs12345

ajs12345 New commenter

To me, high staff turnover would be the single biggest red flag in terms of school stability. However, Ofsted only come in when either a) results dive or b) there has been a serious safeguarding or malpractice allegation.

Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted perhaps?

I'd love to see if there is a correlation between staff turnover and results...

13. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

No. Not a chance.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

How would OFSTED know? Schools don't have to report changes of staff to them.
    The only time this would happen, as it did near me a few years ago was when almost the entire staff quit and whistle blew to OFSTED about working conditions. They were inspected and got inadequate and the HT was quietly moved on.

15. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

It's a school gaining new headteacher's in a short space of time, e.g. inspection was 5 yrs ago but there have been 2 new heads since then.