1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

High Speed Racer - anyone done this yet?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by zglw, Jan 30, 2012.

1. I am looking at buying this in to use as an interhouse challenge for yr eights during technology week in the summer.
    My plan was for the pupils to model the chasis out of styrofoam blocks and then vac form it. (dig the styro foam out to mount it)
    What are the dimentions of the vehicle and do you think this way of producing the body will work?
    Trying to order HIPs in now and dont want to find ourselves short - esp with the current delivery costs we keep getting stung with!

2. Hi
    Is that the one from Mind set on line?
    We are thinking of buying one.

3. yes it is - i have even ordered a datalogger to use with it as well. I believe that as long as we can put a tunnel at both the start and end of the rail it will measure the 'speed?!?' of each car journey allowing us to build up a data sheet. Some learning/playing needs to be done as I have no idea how it will work :)

4. http://www.mindsetsonline.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1009936
    this is the link for the data loggers. no info on the actual racers as yet - the complete kit that I have ordered includes 2 racers - extra can be bought soon but they have assured me that they will be quite cheap and all parts available soon. My idea was that we could have 2 racing and then 2 spare and just swap the car bodies over.
    The code I used for it was DRR-001 for £90.00
    http://www.mindsetsonline.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=409_672&products_id=1009933

5. timbdesign

timbdesign New commenter

Have you seen www.scalextric4schools.org?
    For less than the cost of this kit you can purchase a complete Scalextric track that almost fills a table tennins table and 30 sets of components so pupils can design, make and race their own slot cars. With acrylic chassis and vacuum formed bodies the finished cars cost less than £2 each and can be raced on any 1/32 scale analogue track at home.