1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

High school end of year awards

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by hamlettr, Jan 7, 2020.

1. hamlettr

hamlettr New commenter

Hi,

I’ve been put in charge of the end of year awards which consist of each subject selecting two students (academic/progress) in each year to receive a prize/ be invited to the ceremony. I’m looking for ideas for prizes to be given -keepsakes

but also keen to know what happens in each school

thanks in advance

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The school I attended gave book tokens in advance of the ceremony - we were expected to buy a "book suitable for presentation", which then had a presentation label added in the front. However the tokens were only £2/3, so in practice most people ended up adding to them to get something "suitable".

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

For some years I was in charge of the annual school Prize Giving, and (as frustrum says in post 2) winners were given book tokens, and asked to choose a book, bring it to the school before the Prize Giving day so the label could be added and the book with presentation certificate given out.

A word of warning - the administration in getting the nominations, sending out the book tokens, getting back the books, sticking in the certificates, getting the books in the right order (perhaps with post-it notes to identify each) etc is quite demanding. Maybe easier to just award book tokens and certificates to each winner?

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Outing to a bookshop for prizewinners. Value£25 to £75 dependent on prize. Books collected by staff, bookplates added and personalised by a calligrapher.
    I have my mother's prizes, similarly bookplates, from school and university as treasured possessions.

5. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

You could get the departments to nominate the books as well as the prize winners

6. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

If the winners don't value the prize (which they won't if they don't get to choose it), you'll have large numbers not attending the Prize Giving.

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I think this is more or less what happened at my last school. It was one of those areas of school policy that I managed to avoid.