1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

High-quality teacher trainees being turned away under new race-for-places system

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Weald56, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-news/high-quality-teacher-trainees-being-turned-away-under-new-race-places

Sounds mad:

Schools could lose out on high-quality NQTs next year, universities are warning.

They say changes to the teacher training system – which mean a free-for-all among providers until national limits on places are reached – mean they are forced to turn away potential teachers as popular subjects fill up.

Applications for PE on university teacher training courses have already been closed. And today universities were scrambling to sign up history candidates.

There are concerns that the subject – now 90 per cent full – will be closed in the next day or so.

The University of Cambridge has warned that it may not be able to run a PGCE history course next year, because it is not interviewing until Friday. Interviews at the UCL Institute of Education (IoE) in London have been brought forward to this week.

Christine Counsell, a senior lecturer at Cambridge, said the situation was “dire”. “We have no shortage of brilliant applicants for the coming year,” she said. “But we refuse to rush the process. We have selected 21 terrific applicants and the plan is to put them through our usual tough selection process.

“But if the cap on numbers comes down tomorrow that won’t happen and the Cambridge history PGCE will disappear.”

Katharine Vincent, programme leader for secondary PGCE at the IoE, said she had one candidate who, at short notice, had booked a flight from Saudi Arabia for an interview tomorrow.

“People are coming from all over the country who want to come here to do the PGCE,” she said. “But [if recruitment is stopped] we have to say that it doesn’t matter how good you might be as a teacher, it doesn’t matter how far you have travelled, we can’t give you a place.”

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Perfectly sensible. How many PE teachers does the UK need?

[​IMG]

ITT providers need to learn their place in the scheme of things.

3. Weald56

Doesn't just apply to one subject. Read the whole article.

"The University of Cambridge has warned that it may not be able to run a PGCE history course next year, because it is not interviewing until Friday.....

Christine Counsell, a senior lecturer at Cambridge, said the situation was “dire”. “We have no shortage of brilliant applicants for the coming year,” she said. “But we refuse to rush the process. We have selected 21 terrific applicants and the plan is to put them through our usual tough selection process.

“But if the cap on numbers comes down tomorrow that won’t happen and the Cambridge history PGCE will disappear.”

4. Vince_Ulam

It's amazing that you think I was referring exclusively to PE teachers yet managed to overlook the fact that my picture was of tractors and not of PE teachers.

I do not care how excellent the applicant or how far they have travelled: First come, first served.

5. Weald56

So you don't care about the standard of candidates for teacher training, whom will go on to teach in schools, for a level playing field in selection processes.... In fact you don't give a damn about education.

Yes - it figures.

6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I didn't understand the article to begin with. I haven't kept up to date with PGCE recruitment and training. Too much mess to worry about for those already in the job, I'm afraid. However, I found this which seems to give some background to this article.

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/universiti...don-interviews-already-offered-to-applicants/

Re Vince's comments, the article only talks about PE and History which are apparently full. We all know that students applying to do PE at PGCE or any form of teacher training are really after a job in the new world of vastly over paid and over indulged professional sports entertainment. School teaching is only a fall back. I've more sympathy with History teachers, but what else do you do with a History degree anyway?

7. Weald56

Actually lots of things, as a little basic research will show....

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Really?

9. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Sorry. Cheap joke, I acknowledge. But I reckon I'm right about PE teachers.

lanokia likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Actually I was hoping you'd be able to tell me... otherwise I'm trapped in teaching...

[jokes!]

11. Vince_Ulam

If you had read what I said then you would see that I do have that concern. Further, unlike you, I care that teaching candidates can pass basic numeracy & literacy skills tests. From what we have seen throughout another thread, particularly here, you believe that GCSEs are sufficient markers of a person's suitability to teach. Why then should you care one way or another about the standard of undergraduate degree a teaching candidate has earned? You are simply disagreeing with me for the sake of it, irrespective of the position you must take.

12. Weald56

A few years ago (it is true) the HA produced an excellent poster & supporting material for advertising History to potential graduates - I remember that after teaching/research (the top, but only around 10-12% of recent graduates), came Accountancy, Journalism, Media, Librarianship not far behind. Can't remember the others, I'm afraid!,

13. Vince_Ulam

We all know this? I agree that there is stupid money in sport, but I do not know about the other thing.

14. Weald56

Suitable for a secondary teacher not teaching that subject, yes. The art teacher doesn't need more than a GCSE in Maths, nor does the History teacher, PE teacher, French teacher etc.

I never said the same about primary teachers (though I do doubt the efficacy of the current tests in doing anything useful).

These tests were, and are, a political stick to beat teachers. Nothing to do with standards.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Woo options!

16. Vince_Ulam

I have no idea where you get this stuff. Teachers aren't required to take the skills tests.

17. Weald56

???

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

18. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Teachers aren't required to take the skills test - trainee teachers on the other hand...

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  19. Weald56

Indeed - something I think we all know.

20. Vince_Ulam

Evidently not.