1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

high frequency words/tricky words

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mancminx, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Thank you.

2. Thank you SusanG too.

3. Get off your high horse, maizie. I could, given time, Sweetie.
    To answer your other questions, I work in foundation, at present in nursery. I have worked in all the primary year groups at different times. I have been in my present school for less than a year. Children get less than average scores in SATs at both key stages; the school is in notice to improve. I don't use a reading scheme in nursery. The school has just started to use Floppys' Phonics and also use ORT. If I was in the position of 'fitting the text to the child' I would use different criteria depending on how and in what context it would be read. I use all sorts of criteria when choosing books to share with children.
    Anything else?
    Are you looking for my credentials?
    Of course I could be anyone, as could you, my friend. We assume people are being truthful on here, don't we?[​IMG]

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

yes been there a few years ago and fortunately quickly out of it
    Is that in both English and Maths?

5. Goodness, whose horse is highest?
    I am not doubting your credentials for one minute. I am just trying to get a picture of how you work and what sort of results you get with with your method of teaching reading.

6. I have one of Debbie's charts which lists about 13 ways of spelling /or/, all of which are encounterd in everyday reading, your list only has 3! So, yes, there are more. (I've used 2 that you haven't listed in this short message, 'our' in 'your' and 'al' in 'all' [​IMG] )

7. Msz

I hadn't had my first cuppa of the day [​IMG]
    makes note to wake up efore posting[​IMG]

8. yes, especially Maths.

9. yours. My light-hearted comment was to try and help you lighten up a bit.;-) I have worked elsewhere as literacy co-ordinator. Results higher than average. I would not claim credit.

10. Many more.
    Only 11 spellings have no variants (Bed, Jug/ jog/ jab, gorge, ring, single, pin, musician, this thing, van, television). I have listed all the variant spellings for other 80 English main graphemes at http://englishspellingproblems.blogspot.com/2009/12/rules-and-exceptions-of-english.html
    I'll paste them into this post as well, but they will probably come out messed up.

Cat - plait meringue
    plate -
    dahlia champagne fete
    play - cafe matinee
    air - care bear aerial their there questionnaire
    car – are + (Southern Engl. bath)
    sauce - caught bought always tall crawl
    saw - (UK also: or, four, more)<font size="3">C</font><font size="3">/at/ot/ut - character, kangaroo, queue
    crab/ clap - chrome
    lilac - stomach, anorak</font>
    neck - cheque
    Chat - picture
    clutch - much

Dad - blonde

End - head any said Wednesday friend leisure leopard bury
    her - turn bird learn word journey
    Eel - eat even ceiling field police people me key ski debris quay
    jolly - trolley movie corgi

Fish - photo stuff rough
    Garden - ghastly guard
    House &ndash; who

Ink - mystery pretty sieve women busy build
    bite - might style mild kind eider height climb island indict sign
    my - high pie rye buy I eye

Jelly, jig &ndash; gentle, ginger
    fidget - digit

Kite/ kept - chemistry
    seek - unique
    ***k - disc mosque

Lips - llama
    Mum - dumb autumn
    Nose - knot gone gnome mnemonic

On - cough sausage; want &ndash; wont; quarrel - quod
    mole - bowl roll soul old mould boast most goes mauve
    toe - go dough sew cocoa pharaoh oh depot

Oil &ndash; oyster toy - buoy

food - rude shrewd move group fruit truth tomb manoeuvre
    blue do shoe through
    good - would put woman courier

Order &ndash; board court
    wart, quart &ndash; worn quorn
    more - soar door four war swore abhor

Out &ndash; town; now - plough

Quick - acquire choir
    Rug - rhubarb write

Sun - centre scene
    face - case
    fancy - fantasy

Shop - chute sure moustache liquorice
    ignition - mission pension suspicion fashion
    ambitious - delicious luscious
    facial - spatial

Tap, pet - pterodactyl two debt
    delicate - democrat

Up - front some couple blood
    cute - you newt neutral suit beauty Tuesday nuclear
    cue - few view menu

have - spiv
    river - chivvy

Window - which
    fix - accept except exhibit
    Yak - use

Zip &ndash; xylophone, rose - froze

measure - azure

Endings and prefixes:
    loveable - credible
    vertical - novel anvil petrol
    ordinary - machinery inventory century carpentry
    fasten - abandon truncheon orphan goblin certain
    absence - balance
    absent - pleasant
    father - author armour nectar centre injure quota
    decide - divide
    indulge - endure

Consonant doubling:
    merry &ndash; very - serrated
    (regular &ndash; missing - surplus)
    372 - 384 &ndash; 158)

11. Msz

Oh do keep up masha! I said a<u> rough </u>list (made from memory not cut and pasted from your book ) My rough list has a 130 different graphemes (so I've missed a few )and Susan has already posted a comprehensive list

12. I think the main point to be taken though is that it is actually not easy to find all the irregularities in written English, and yet some expect children to learn all these in isolation, and presumably, carry them all in their heads in some way. When we identify all the irregularities the list feels pretty meaningless until we have examples of the irregularities in words that we know. It does for me, anyway. I need the support of that context. Learning the GPCs in isolation is a bit like learning pin numbers -so much easier if the number is meaningful in some way. This is why I think learning the words represents an interaction of skills. As knowledge of simple phonemes builds into knowledge of simple words, those simple words become part of the repertoire we can use to decode further words, which are learnt and used in turn. When we encounter a new word with a novel representation of a phoneme, we use the knowledge we have for parts of the word that are familiar and we use our existing vocabulary and the context to help. That new pattern and word, then, can become part of our repertoire as we read on.

13. Msz

Actually I think the fact that I tried to give you a quick list of graphemes might not be a good indication ... I'm sure ifwe sat down and thought for a few minutes we could come up with all but the most obscure ways of representing the sounds in English.
    but they shouldn't be taught in isolation they should always be taught with examples of words and context ...
    teach - apply - practise
    teach the new GPC apply it in words practise reading and writing in a sentence!

14. I really don't know where you get the idea from that GPCs are learned 'in isolation'. That would be a completely pointless exercise. They are, of course, taught and then immediately practised for reading and spelling.

15. SNAP!
    But you expressed it better, Msz!

16. Yes, I know this is the teaching sequence, and on the whole I agree with it. But it remains: When children are reading, for some reason (with SP) they are taught to look at each GPC in an unknown word in order, in isolation, and with no reference to context, or to any whole word clues. In other words, starting from the GPC when it might help to start with the word, and, more than that, being discouraged from using other strategies which also might help. To do this, they need to have their list of GPCs, however many that is, in their memories. Children will not be the best readers they can be if they work like that, although, luckily, most children can't actually be stopped from using other strategies, which they discover on their own.

17. Msz

Sorry to disagree thumbie they are taught to read the phonemes through the word left to right but not in isolation and in the context of the word and sentence.

18. You're getting slithery again, Msz. And 'in order' would be left to right, I think.

19. Msz

Yes as an adult we know that it would be left to rightbut children need to be taught that is the order... not slithery simply pointing out how children are taught. We don't want swa instead of was do we?