1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

High Frequency Word Display

Discussion in 'Primary' started by irishguiness, Jun 5, 2011.

1. I have just begun teaching year 2 and am looking for a way to disply the high frequency words. I have a word wall at the moment but I am really not liking it. Any ideas would be welcome! Thanks

2. Group words into spelling patterns or unusual factors about any tricky words:
    could, would, should
    you, your, our, hour
    are/our These are our things.
    goes does shoes
    said again against
    their things
    over there
    here, there, everywhere
    etc.

3. You should also be highlighting spelling word banks of focus letter/s-sound correspondences to raise awareness of the need for these to go into long-term memory - and for children to understand that they need to notice which words are spelled in which way.

4. thepinkrachael

thepinkrachael New commenter

I used one in my class this year where the words could be moved from the edges to the centre, and the words we were focussing on/thosethe children were struggling with went to the middle to make sentence, often combined with words using sounds we were learning too. I cahnged the sentences about once or twice a week or so, and it kept the children's attention on the display (ie it didn't become just a background) and they enjoyed telling me what the sentence said that week.