1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

High Fives and 'Bantz'

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by stopwatch, Nov 8, 2017.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Heading towards the end of 40 years teaching (if you include Teaching practice!) I am looking around at the younger staff in my school to see what I will be leaving behind.

One thing that stands out is a much more relaxed approach to relationships with pupils. I am in a through school (F1 to Year 13) and notice a lot of the following:
    - Teachers high-fiving children when they do well. This even happened last week in an awards assembly where the Assistant Head was high fiving the children as they came to get their awards
    - Banter - otherwise known as 'bantz' where the conversation between pupils and teachers revolves around poking fun at each other with varying degrees of 'daring' (read for that - rudeness). All seemingly quite normal and an acceptable way for the 2 to interact.
    - Sloppy dress including jeans and trainers (or should I say canvas trousers and plain black trainers). Female teachers wearing see through blouses and tight trousers.
    - Teachers who (in my opinion) are desperate to be liked by their pupils and be their 'mate'. Arrested development abounds.

I despair. Am I just being an old fuddy duddy or is this really an acceptable way to behave?

Baaaahhhhh Humbug I say!!

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Occasional commenter

L. P. Hartley — 'The past is a different country:They do things differently there.'

True.:)

3. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Established commenter

Amazing.

I see the opposite.

4. elder_cat

elder_cat Occasional commenter

Then sadly I must also be an old 'fuddy duddy', who has succumbed to the temptation to post in the midst of a senior moment, because I certainly don't remember any of the things he's listed happening back when I was wearing short trousers.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  5. seasoned

seasoned New commenter

I totally agree..!!! I'm 'old school' - and proud of it..!! I'm retiring early at Christmas having enjoyed my 36 years in the classroom but feeling a great sense of disappointment with what the profession has become, and the current prevailing culture in schools. Looking forward to good times ahead......

plot71 likes this.
  6. hs9981

hs9981 Occasional commenter

I like to make a mental note of 'banter' and then repeat it loudly at parents evening, so all the other parents can judge. o_O

plot71 likes this.
  7. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

To clarify, this is highly prevalent in my current school, but wasn't so much in my previous school (apart from a couple of staff).

I have also seen it in other schools I have worked.