1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

High ceilings - ideas please ..

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by starbelliedsneetch, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Worth checking how your burglar alarm system works if your going to suspend anything that might move in a draught;our Autumn twirlers set the alarm off!

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Leave them high! Modern low celinged classroms are awful. I find them particularly oppressive as my own house has really high ceilings which gives a sense of space and calm. The nursery at our schoo is cluttered with stuff hanging from it and it's very claustrophobic. Rejoice in your good fortune!

3. Couldn't agree more with the above poster, some classrooms are overpowering with clutter.

4. I have half of my classroom with high ceilings and the other half with low ceilings. I use the space with the low ceiling for carpet time (this is where the IWB is, and this works well.
    I reduce the height on the other side as and when needed, such as to create a cosy den in the book area.
    So I would say keep it high where you can and also bring it down where necessary!

5. Thanks for your reply. My intention is to only lower a small area, I agree that it is nice to have higher ceilings too. Can I ask how you lower the ceiling in your classroom?

6. I use voile (sp?) and other fabrics, ive got string from one side to the other and attach it to this and the tops of diplay boards.
    Ive also got a large mosquito bed net thing that i use over my book area and then I pin stuff around this like key words etc to make it more exciting.ive also used things like our children's gazebo inside to create a space for role play, this worked really well.

7. Freeze!

Freeze! New commenter

The above ideas are great - we do similar at our school. The Reception where I am has high-ish ceilings and has one of those large suntents in - it's a white one and it's the book area. It fits 6 small seats and/or cushions inside at the sides. Also has been used as a writing area.

8. I use voile, as although it gives a sense of 'enclosure' for the pupils yet you can see what's going on! I suspend things with translucent fishing line which you can buy on reels - makes it look like it is staying up by magic! I love setting up a classroom!

9. One year I suspended dark blue voile from the ceiling, then used this to hang large yellow stars with the 45 sight vocabulary words as we introduced them. Had to take them down when we had new burglar alarms fitted.

10. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I love the mosquito net idea. Genius! We have the same burglar alarm problem, but I could tuck this in a corner. Another thing that may be worth thinking about is where things are placed on the walls. When I took over my class, there were lots of things on the walls high up which made the room feel quite oppressive. When I took it all down, and just had stuff on the display boards, it did feel a bit more cozy.