1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hickey's Multisensory Language course

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by regencyrob, Jun 14, 2011.

1. I have lost my copy does anyone have one hanging around that they would be willing to sell for £50
    RR

2. I'd much rather sell you a copy of a good modern Synthetic Phonics programme! Hickey is so outdated and slow. It really is time that the Dyslexia Industry started looking a bit further than Orton Gillingham for working with struggling readers.

3. I'm currently on the TDA dyslexia course which is run by Edge Hill University. Hickey is highly recommended on the course in fact you are encouraged to use it!

4. I too am on TDa dyslexic course run by Glyndwr university and led by Sylvia Phillips esteemed dyslexia researcher!
    It's use is encouraged!

5. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I did the SpLD PGCert last year at MMU and we were 'taught' how to deliver the Hickey too. I don't think it is the be all and end all but I do think it is a very good programme for dyslexic learners. what I would say is it is very prescriptive, too much so, but I just select the most useful elements in my teaching.
    Sorry I don't have a copy to sell. Have you tried amazon?

6. I will refer to the children I am tutoriing at the moment - one is a poor reader. underdeveloped dues to attitude, laziness and lack of enthusiasm. Now he is enthused by my teaching and my one on one attention he is rapidly improving. He is a low level reader but he is picking up phonics quickly. He is able to learn a number of graphemes at the same time.
    However the other child who I will describe as dyslexic is learning at a much slower rate. He is only able to learn one grapheme at a time. i should point out they are coming from the same base ability but one is making much less progress because of his dyslexia.
    I do not think that you can describe all poor readers as dyslexic.

7. I'm afraid that I would say that one is just slower to learn. There might be an underlying reason, but it could be one of many.
    Why not? It only means 'having trouble acquiring literacy' Why should one child you perceive as being lazy be any less 'dyslexic' than one who is slow to learn. How do you know it was just laziness that held him back?
    Anyway, here are a couple of interesting thoughts:

8. I have taught both boys in my class for a year now! I have their school histories and anecdotal evidence from their previous class teachers.
    I have also been teaching the boys 1 on 1 literacy sessions and whilst the 'lazy' one makes rapid progress the other struggles.
    I always argue that research is biased!

9. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

I put the first line of that quote into the search engine and guess where it came from?
    http://www.dyslexics.org.uk/index.htm
    Hmmm... some familar synthetic phonic advocate names in there:)
    Rob: I did the post grad diploma in dyslexia and literacy at York uni and did the multisensory programme and I have hardly ever used wooden letter since I left but the teaching I received on the course has given me a really solid grounding to work in the area of dyslexia.
    I have taken what I was taught on the course and expanded,changed,developed it to suit my students. It has paid off as it helps me devise very good lessons.
    Interestingly, after spending 13 years in primary education where nothing stayed the same, I was so relieved to have come across something that had stood the test of time yet had not stood still.
    I know exactly what you mean about your two students and you are doing the correct thing; adapting your teaching styles to suit the individual.
    Keep the faith ...in your own instincts!

10. Thanks Moonpenny!
    I use the wooden letters for one reason only - as an icebreaker/starter!
    It does embed the alphabet! I dont really place massive importance on the children knowing the alphabet but it does help when looking in dictionaries etc

11. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

Sounds good to me,Rob
    I like taking the ideas and giving them an imaginative twist.
    It's quite handy for lesson obs as it always give me that edge to get a good grade.
    I have learned so much about pacing a lesson,variety and reinforcement.
    I definitely came out of the training a much better teacher and the phonics knowledge was only part of that.
    Hope someone comes up with a copy for you anyway :)

12. School has bought me a new one!!

13. gcf

gcf

A year long part-time Orton Gillingham course, leading to a Dip.in SpLD, helped only some of the children who were referred to me -for others OG took far too long. One to one teaching will always help some children but what about the rest?
    Synthetic phonics is far quicker, more logical, based on the fact that written language is an alphabetic code. It took 3 x 10 minute (approximately) sessions a couple of weeks ago to show a 31 year old man severely affected with Fragile X how to decode: in that time he read 4 little, highly structured stories and, for the first time understood the nature of the alphabetic code. He will now be referred to an SP teacher who has successfully taught hundreds of children - with Downs, Cerebral Palsy etc. Even though this man's problems mean that he cannot concentrate for more than a few minutes at a time SP will undoubtedly help him to become an independent reader.
    Year after year can be spent teaching a child using an OG programme - a friend went, up to 3 times a week for one to one tuition - from the age of 7 to 16. This is not an unusual scenario and it is only fairly well-off people who can afford the thousands of pounds this slow-track approach offers. It's more lucrative but is it really the best we can offer children now?

14. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

Yey!

15. You have answered your own question! The rest of the children get synthetic phonics throughout their early schooling usually up to year 3.
    It is after these 4 years of high quality synthetic phonics teaching, without success for the small minority of children, that something else needs to be found.

I am not advocating a 1 to 1 education for the majority of children but for that very small minority - in this case 4% of the cohort. Within this 4% the Hickey programme is only working for 1 child. 2% of the cohort.
    It is not only about decoding the MS approach covers, reading, spelling, handwriting, alphabetic principles etc

16. Moonpenny I spent the £70 quid I had saved in my local wine shop!!

17. I regret that that statement makes me question whether you understand synthetic phonics at all.

So does synthetic phonics. What does Hickey do that SP doesn't? (Apart from move the children on faster..)

18. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

The news just gets better and better.
    On a less positive note, why are people lecturing you about synthetic phonics when you said earlier that you actually use SP with one student and that works with him but your dyslexic student benefits from a different (and I presume individually structured lessons which are tailor made for his own specific difficulties) lesson structure.
    I wasn't under the impression that you needed convincing about the use of synthetic phonics.
    Incidentally, an over emphasis on SP to the detriment of other literacy skills can leave gaps in comprehension skills.....I wonder if that is the problem here.

19. MP.
    I am actually quite familiar with Hickey as it was much loved by a former SENCo at our school. I don't recall it working on comprehension skills. Perhaps it has changed in the last 10 years. I also have a complete copy of 'Beat Dyslexia'. No comprehension in that, either...
    What other 'skills' might you be refering to?
    When someone observes that 'it isn't just about decoding' then it seems that they don't know much about SP if they think that SP is just about 'decoding'. If you don't recognise that a good SP programme is structured and systematic (as are OG programmes) then I wonder if you really know much about SP either.

20. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

What qualifications do you hold ,Maizie?
    And what is your job role?