1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hi ICT observation coming up with Nursery help!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by AthenaMarina, May 22, 2011.

1. AthenaMarina

AthenaMarina New commenter

Hi. I and my colleagues are having an "internal review" (observations really) by boss and SMT & it falls during my ICT lesson with my nursery class. I feel quite nervous about this. I have posted this on the ICT forum here too. I would LOVE some ideas on what things to say etc.
    Basically, as there are not a lot of programs to use we usually use "2 Simple". Sometimes I get the kids to explore 2Simple publisher or the "Wet paint" or "Ink" etc. programs in 2Simple (it's basically a paint program) and I've started teaching them the vocab for parts of a computer just by for e.g. holding up the mouse and saying "This is the mouse" and the kids repeat it. Usually they "draw" their own flower, or whatever they are learning about with the mouse, some can do it some can't. We try to help those who can't and showing clip art first also helped give some of them ideas.
    The kids walk to an ICT suite with me and the T.A. and it's only once a week so they DO get a bit "high" and one girl cries because she doesn't like ICT (the others love it) I and my TA go round to different children to help and also I save the pictures.
    I'd love ideas, mainly on the "right" words to say, sentences etc. I really want to pass this internal inspection, especially as I'm leaving at the end of July (they know, of course) and REALLY want a great reference. (They are very happy with me on the whole so far)
    Sometimes we use the "2Simple Spinner" program and not all the kids can change the pen size or speed so that's something we could try. The ICT HAS progressed, the children's skills have improved a lot from when they started.
    I might try to write up a lesson plan, maybe that will help me a bit and I've been looking online too. But I want to know things like what are good words to say. I have a few weeks to practice though of course a holiday (well, to work on reports!) in May. I did REALLY well in my last ICT lesson years ago by a different person.

2. AthenaMarina

P.S. I am wondering whether I should try a website instead and also practice it in class?
    (It's just their skills are so good they can also change the program ha ha!)
    Maybe starfall.com
    and they click through it and there is dragging too it focuses on letters and sounds.
    Some of them sometimes get to use cbeebies or primarygames for a treat so I am afraid they will ask for it ha ha! So there will be no more of that!
    Ideas pretty please!

3. AthenaMarina

Bumpty bumpty bump HELP?!

4. God help them!!!
    You do realise that this is not good nursery practice !!!!!!!
    In my nursery we set up the computer with aprogramme at the start of each day - the children come in and 9 times out of ten they decide there is another more interesting game they want to use - So they change independently to their choice of game

By this time of the year I expect them to be able to access programmes independently and be able to explain why they have chosen a specific task or game - be it one installed on pc or via cbeebies....

5. A whole class lesson of ICT for nursery is inaapropriate. Young children need to feel secure- that means they need to have easy access to toilets and should be in a familiar environment with access to a range of different provision.
    Take a look at this web page
    http://birthtofive.org.uk/earlyyearsfoundationstage/galleryofeffectivepractice/indoorprovisiongallery/ictprovision.aspx

ICT for young children including reception should be far wider.
    Effective ‘ Indoor ICT Provision’ would include many resources. This should:

• <li class="MsoNormal">Be available across all areas of learning<li class="MsoNormal">Include a computer area if appropriate, and a range of suitable software<li class="MsoNormal">Include a range of ICT resources including a listening station<li class="MsoNormal">Be available indoors and outdoors. For example, outdoors this may include metal detectors, walkie-talkies and programmable toys<li class="MsoNormal">Include a digital camera which can be used by toddlers, pre-school children and practitioners<li class="MsoNormal">Modelled where appropriate and included in continuous provision<li class="MsoNormal">Reflected in the role-play area. For example, microwave, toaster and telephone.
    My reception children only rarely went as a whole class to the ICT suite and that was towards the end of the year.
    I think it is important for you to ensure that your head teacher understands what ICT looks like in the EYFS

6. AthenaMarina

"A whole class lesson of ICT for nursery is inaapropriate. Young children need to feel secure- that means they need to have easy access to toilets and should be in a familiar environment with access to a range of different provision."

I agree, but tell that to my school!
    They push the kids a lot and it's on our timetable to go there then.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

To go where when?

8. AthenaMarina

To go to the ICT suite at that time. If we don't it'll be all "why didn't you do what was time-tabled?"
    ANYway!

9. Do you have any computers in your room so you don't have to go to the ICT suite?

10. AthenaMarina

One class computer in the room.

11. Perhaps you could consider ICT in its broader sense. what about programmable toys such as Beebot or digital cameras, for example? That way the children are actively engaged.