1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

? "Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho , It's off to work I go!" ?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Gibb, Aug 15, 2011.

1. To all Scottish teachers returning today...how many sleeps til September weekend? :)
    Good luck to all starting a new job today!

2. To all Scottish teachers returning today...how many sleeps til September weekend? :)
    Good luck to all starting a new job today!

3. I second that! Good luck to all. Sage advice to newcomers or those needing to g themselves up for another long haul year is always to be found on these forums. Probationers will find it especially helpful.
    Hope everyone has a good one!

4. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Haven't counted the days yet! But not all authorities get the September weekend!

5. 8 weeks until the tattie holidays!

6. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Ah, the joys of tattie howkin'.
    Fresh air, an aching back and no school.
    It wouldn't suit some of today's couch potatoes. [​IMG]

7. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Mr. Jo and I picked strawberries for Grampian Growers in 1981 for the Royal wedding (Di and Charles) as our last holiday-job; we got 70p an hour - it wouldn't suit some of today's teens never mind couch potatoes!!
    [​IMG]

8. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

70p an hour! The last time I went berry picking we were paid by the amount we picked and then I was paid in shilllngs and pennies. Really showing my age now!
    The tatties were better paid probably about - £25 for a 5 day week. Oh the joys of getting up in what felt like the middle of the night and then being transported to the farm in the back of a cattle float.

9. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Yes, we were normally paid by the punnet but were specially chosen to pick for the wedding so were given special rates!! It only lasted 2 days then we went back to normal rates. (They were beautiful strawberries but wasted on me as I hate fruit!-that's why they picked me and Mr.Jo was so honest he would never have eaten something for free!!)
    brings back memories of my daffy picking days! That was 1p per bunch and my fingers were frozen solid for hours - happy days? Nah.......... it's better now!