1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hi can anyone please help me?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sarey1986, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Hi, I have recently been accepted at Durham to do my PGCE in General Primary and I am very excited! However, I have been used to working with children in Foundation Stage and have not had much expereince with children in KS1 and KS2 as of yet, and what I am wondering is what kinds of things do the children look at, in say, Year 1 and Year 4?
    Any responses or ideas would be very welcome as I am wanting to make a resource folder and keep organised but I do not know where to start.
    Thank you Sarah :eek:)

2. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

I spent most of my teacher training collecting resources, very few of which have been any use whatsoever. Not only do they date very quickly, but you may very well never teach the topics you have been collecting for.
    Almost certainly in terms of worksheets, topic books, etc, the school will have resources.
    What has served me since finishing training (13 years ago, can't believe it!):
    * a poetry file we had to make in English with poems to dip into.
    * an art file with photos of stimulating ideas for creative stuff linked to different topics.
    * 'clever' ways to teach the real boring basics: multiplication, full stops, etc - just notes of things you've seen will do!
    It would be worth focusing your collections on stuff like that.

3. I Second Little Russell on the fact that things will either go out of date or just will never be used/looked at - or you will have sooooo much you will forget all about it and find it when you have just finished that unit/topic (as has happened to both myself and my year group partner for about everything we have taught this year lol).
    Much better imho (and something I am trying REALLY hard this year to do) is just to look for specific resources<u> when</u> I need them, which isn't actually too time consuming or hard nowadays with the plethora of pretty good reource websites out there (eg, Brenden is teaching, TPet, ******, Primary Resouces and of course here! amongst others)
    If you want to get an idea of what different years do in terms of general pitching (it varies HUGELY with regards to what actual topics etc - some schools stick to the old QCA topics, some use the QCA topics but mix them around so the 'wrong' year group is doing them, some just make them up as they go along and so on - for Lit and Num, some use the NLS and NNS, others follow other schemes and others 'just' use the National Curriculum and have gone their own way entirely) Primary Resources is good as it has year group suggestions on a lot of the resources. Personally I really like the Scholastic Books as well to get an idea of pitching (the 100 lessons series), with imho is a very general pitch - there are various other (usually pay for) resource banks that have different pitching (eg Click teaching, which I think is rather low pitched, Hamilton Teaching is mid range with some differentiation, and one I found is super super high pitching (save our sundays). I really like Learning Clip for Maths overview ideas as well.
    Hope all that helps, good luck and have fun :)