1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HGV Coming to school - risk assessment ideas

Discussion in 'School trips' started by mattbeighton, Jan 21, 2011.

1. We have a parent bringing the front hub(?) of his HGV to our school as part of our Transport module. He will be parking it in the car park next door and as part of my GTP training my mentor has asked me to have a look at doing a risk assessment. I have some basic points down, but not being a HGV driver myself I have no idea of the risks once they are having a look in the cab. Has anyone done anything similar before, or have any good places to start looking?
    Any helps is appreciated!
    Matt

2. We have a parent bringing the front hub(?) of his HGV to our school as part of our Transport module. He will be parking it in the car park next door and as part of my GTP training my mentor has asked me to have a look at doing a risk assessment. I have some basic points down, but not being a HGV driver myself I have no idea of the risks once they are having a look in the cab. Has anyone done anything similar before, or have any good places to start looking?
    Any helps is appreciated!
    Matt

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Presumably it is a long way up/down so would steppladder be needed?

The handbrake could be taken off so should you chock the wheels?

An adult in the cab at all times

Crowd control for those waiting

4. I would put in about not leaving the keys in the cab, and for 'crowd' control in the car park, will you have the car park closed, or an area of the car park coned off (is the car park public?)

sounds like a fun day, hope if goes well

5. Thanks guys, that's good advice. I need to check on Monday but I'm sure we will be locking the car park behind us.
    From speaking to the dad there will be steps up to the door, but a step ladder may be a safer option!